Trusted Contributor

Hi friends,  I'm interested in trying either a BB or CC cream instead of foundation.  From what I've read, CC creams offer more coverage than BB creams. 

I am 50+ years old, my skin is normal.  I'm interested in evening out my skin tone and blurring some broken capillaries.

I welcome any and ALL of your experiences, recommendations and "issues".  As always, the opinions on this board are infinitely more reliable than any sales associate or beauty blogger.  Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@Quinny  I was using a certain product for several months and then it started oxidizing.  I purchased:

Chanel Moisturing Tint - After several uses it is oxidizing

Lumene CC cream -  I like it but I don't like the glow on skin so I cover w/a little powder

NYX CC cream - not bad but only 3 shades and no glowing

Kiehl's Skin Tone Correcting & Beautifying BB Cream - Only 3 shades, does not glow.  Feels a little sticky.  Not sure how I feel yet on this one.

I need to get to Nordstrom to see all the brands and shades offered.  I prefer a BB or CC because it is normally cream form.  I also want a demi-matte finish although NYX and Lumene are not cream but more liquid form.  I would like to find a happy medium in price and my demi-matte finish.  No glowing for me.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

There are a few that I like:

- Physicians Formula
- L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier - select your shade range, it comes out white but adapts to your skintone as you rub it in.  
- Missha Perfect Cover 

Super Contributor

@QuinnyI wear the It* Bye Bye Foundation and I really like the full coverage moisturizing look.    My skin is  a little on the dry side and it looks better with some moisturizer.   I am not able to do matte make-up.  They make a CC Cream for color correcting that helps with redness.  I think they are very similar products.   I used to wear Este Lauder Re-Nutriv foundation, very nice,  but it's expensive and I've found the IT Foundation works well for me.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Favorite BB or CC Cream

[ Edited ]

I really like theBalm Balm Shelter.  I have been using it for about two years.  It is $25 for a little over 2 oz of product, but I usually order from their website during sales when everything goes on sale for half price.  It gives a nice light even coverage and does not irritate my sensitive, combination skin.

I believe there are four shades.  I wear the light, and it is perfect for my fair skin.  It does not oxidize on me and lasts all day (although I always use a little powder after applying).

Before this I used Lumene, and really enjoyed it.  However, I think I prefer a little more matte look (which theBalm offers).

Honored Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

Hi friends,  I'm interested in trying either a BB or CC cream instead of foundation.  From what I've read, CC creams offer more coverage than BB creams. 

I am 50+ years old, my skin is normal.  I'm interested in evening out my skin tone and blurring some broken capillaries.

I welcome any and ALL of your experiences, recommendations and "issues".  As always, the opinions on this board are infinitely more reliable than any sales associate or beauty blogger.  Thanks! 

Good Morning @Quinny. Many CC Creams I’ve tried have been more full coverage than some foundations. I like the combination of a good tinted moisturizer (I use Bobbi Brown’s in beige tube) & the then touch up w/ a matching concealer or if more coverage is needed, you could use their Foundation Stick. I use Bobbi Brown for this because they have at least 25 foundation shades (several formulations) and matching concealers, tinted moisturizers and it’s easy for me to choose the same shade, across the board, to meet the needs for my skin. 

I’ve tried IT CC Cream in several of its variations and some drugstore brands...maybe just got disgusted finding one lighter than foundation...the point of a CC cream. They seem to think “color correcting” means full coverage in which case you may as well wear foundation. 

Another option is a light to medium buildable coverage foundation. You can adjust it to your needs. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Quinny  I was using a certain product for several months and then it started oxidizing.  I purchased:

Chanel Moisturing Tint - After several uses it is oxidizing

Lumene CC cream -  I like it but I don't like the glow on skin so I cover w/a little powder

NYX CC cream - not bad but only 3 shades and no glowing

Kiehl's Skin Tone Correcting & Beautifying BB Cream - Only 3 shades, does not glow.  Feels a little sticky.  Not sure how I feel yet on this one.

I need to get to Nordstrom to see all the brands and shades offered.  I prefer a BB or CC because it is normally cream form.  I also want a demi-matte finish although NYX and Lumene are not cream but more liquid form.  I would like to find a happy medium in price and my demi-matte finish.  No glowing for me.

@Katcat1   Wow, you’re having a tough time. I’ve alternated w/ Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer and the Bobbi Brown. BB and CC creams seem thick and dewy by nature in order to color correct. 

BB Creams came first and have lighter coverage w/ skincare benefits, SPF, moisturizer, etc. CC Creams, since they color correct, need to be heavier, usually are multi-purpose w/ moisturizers, serums, spf, etc. I like using my own spf, serums and moisturizer, so CCs are overkill. 

I think the additional moisture, etc. in CCs are giving you the “glow” you object to. Would you be willing to try a semi-matte light coverage foundation? Different name, same look. 

Respected Contributor

@Quinny I really like MaryKay CC cream. I have combo skin, with some broken caps, etc. and it "blurs" my imperfections nicely. It has a good finish, sort of semi-matte on me (I don't like glowy). I've been buying it for several years and it's the only one I've ever used. I use the "Light/Medium" (I'm a Fair or Light in Laura Geller's Balance & Brighten). I have pretty neutral skin-tones, and I don't think the MaryKay CC tends toward pink at all, nor is it very yellow, at least on me.

Esteemed Contributor

I am in the same age range and swear by Dr.Denese day cream. It's a multi task product that provides sunscreen/mositurizer/coverage and skin benefits. It auto matches to your skin and has a light feel on the face--not heavy. It looks like my skin but better. Hope you  have the same results that I do.

Honored Contributor

By far it's the Tarte tinted BB Primer.  I was introduced to this a few years ago at Sephora when they matched me to several foundations.  Out of the ones recommended, this is one I decided to purchase and I love it.

I have gone through several tubes of this which doesn't happen with me and foundation. Normally I use up a tube/bottle and move on to something else and never return.  I have tried a few others but keep going back to this.