Honored Contributor

Really what would be best ,a oil,or cream?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Oils contain more fatty acids than do creams, however, oils are occlusive meaning they tend to seal in whatever you apply under them. You can use both a cream and an oil. Apply the cream first.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Oils contain more fatty acids than do creams, however, oils are occlusive meaning they tend to seal in whatever you apply under them. You can use both a cream and an oil. Apply the cream first.

@SilleeMee   I think I disagree here. I was taught to apply skincare thinest to thickest which would mean serums and oils would go on before cream products like moisturizers and spf last.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

There are exceptions to some rules. This is one where science can explain it. Oils create barriers so if you apply an oil first then your cream will just sit on top of that oil and do nothing. Oils should be applied last so they will seal in the good stuff (your creams and serums) and prevent the good stuff from evaporating or from oxidizing.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus 

There are exceptions to some rules. This is one where science can explain it. Oils create barriers so if you apply an oil first then your cream will just sit on top of that oil and do nothing. Oils should be applied last so they will seal in the good stuff (your creams and serums) and prevent the good stuff from evaporating or from oxidizing.

@SilleeMee  Respectfully, even if a light oil is applied and given time to sink into the skin?

Esteemed Contributor

Pure, nature made, fatty acids come as they are.

So you will have to pick a name and a form.  Double choice.

Esteemed Contributor

I thought oils, especially high in oleic acid, are penetration enhancers. Applied first makes sense.

This subject comes up every now and again - what to apply when. I've applied all kinds of ways, and really, I don't think it makes much difference. It stands to reason thin-to-thick, but ....

As to @goldensrbest 's Q, a well rounded, balanced cream will contain an oil, or oils. That stands to reason, too, since our skin is also comprised of our own natural oils.

We are just always seeking that perfect balance. And I still read where some avoid oils altogether.

When I was just using aloe alone as my moisturizer, it was almost necessary to add an oil in there, too.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus @SilleeMee 

I'm far less experienced  in the art of skincare than either one of you are but I've been obsessed with it for over a year.  All of my research  has taught me that oils go on last and that means after moisturizer. 

Honored Contributor

Serums are not the same to me as an oil.  I apply serums first; any oil goes on last.  The only time I do it differently is when I'm applying oils and body butters after a shower.  Then, I spray oil to damp skin and then add my body butter over.  But, a body butter is also going to contain oil-like ingredients, and, I'm not applying products that have anti-aging ingredients meant to be absorbed by the skin.

Honored Contributor

Essences/toner (sometimes they can be the same product)/serums/moisturizer/oils.  Anyone can do whatever they feel works for them but this is the order I learned and is working for me,