Valued Contributor

Fantastic Website Calculates How Old Your Makeup Or Skin Care Is Via The Batch Code

It's www.checkcosmetic.net Just find the batch or lot number on your product, and on the left of the site pick the cosmetic company, put in the code and hit calculate. The home page will tell you how to find the code (I needed a good magnifying glass; but then I'm almost 60!). I had a few surprises, including the fact that two lipsticks I just got within the last 3 months were manufactured almost four years ago! However, I feel if they were never used, they would still be good for a couple of years at least. I always figured the clock counted down on the expiration at the date of purchase, but oh well.

I'm really impressed with the Lancome products I've gotten from Designer Fragrances & Cosmetic Co. None that I've searched so far have been manufactured before 2012.

Super Contributor

Re: Fantastic Website Calculates How Old Your Makeup Or Skin Care Is Via The Batch Code

Thank-you!
Honored Contributor

Re: Fantastic Website Calculates How Old Your Makeup Or Skin Care Is Via The Batch Code

I haven't had a chance to test the site, but what a great concept. It certainly beats having to deal with CS.

Thanks so much.

ETA: "I always figured the clock counted down on the expiration at the date of purchase, but oh well."

That would take some magic, grammarqueen. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Wow thats neat, thank you! Smile

Valued Contributor

On 3/26/2014 suzyQ3 said:

I haven't had a chance to test the site, but what a great concept. It certainly beats having to deal with CS.

Thanks so much.

ETA: "I always figured the clock counted down on the expiration at the date of purchase, but oh well."

That would take some magic, grammarqueen. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Check out the Cosmetic Shelf Life FAQ link at the top. It states that most cosmetics can be kept unopened safely up to 3 years, if kept away from heat, light, etc. The little open jar means Period After Opening, and you can count down from there, I figure. The Batch Code is the date the product was manufactured. Personally, I'm certainly keeping my 2 unopened lipsticks that were made in 2011, but I will start using them right away and toss as soon as the 1 year POS is reached.

Interestingly, I tried a brand new lipstick I bought, and was surprised at how nice and creamy it was. My older lipsticks (by the same cosmetics company), while not rancid, are definitely drier and tackier on application.

Super Contributor

How cool! Thanks!!

Respected Contributor

Thank you, grammarqueen. Nice find and thanks for sharing. Curious, how did you come across that?
Valued Contributor

I just Googled something like, "How old is your makeup" which led me to a website called myyearwithoutwastingmoney.com(!), which had a link to the site in it. I have Wednesdays off, I live on Cape Cod, and we had a nasty Nor'Easter today, so I just hunkered down to kill time at the old computer.

Respected Contributor

On 3/26/2014 grammarqueen said:

I just Googled something like, "How old is your makeup" which led me to a website called myyearwithoutwastingmoney.com(!), which had a link to the site in it. I have Wednesdays off, I live on Cape Cod, and we had a nasty Nor'Easter today, so I just hunkered down to kill time at the old computer.

Thanks again and stay safe. It looked rough on the news!
Valued Contributor

The winds were really wild - I can still hear them howling outside. A tragedy happened in Boston today, 2 firefighters and 13 first responders were injured in a 9-alarm Back Bay residential fire, that just spread so quickly because of the 40-50 mile per hour winds. This is just right on the doorstep of the one year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing.