Respected Contributor

Re: False eyelashes vs mascara

I wore them on a date in '67. One fell in my soup. I noticed but date didn't. Went to ladies room and took the other one off. That was my first and last foray with them. I've noticed that some TV women are wearing heavy ones. Distracting. If it's noticeable it takes away from the look.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I follow a YouTuber who did an at-home Eyelash Perm & Lift.

She made it look easy & was very satisfied w/ the results.

Naturally curling lashes so they already look 'done' even 

without the mascara.

Have you heard about this....or done it?

@sidsmom   I haven't heard of it...sounds interesting but a bit scary too.

@haddon9 

A Lash Lift...there are lash salons here in Dallas who do it but

ooof....the idea of a perming agent that close to my eyes makes

me too nervous to try!  I would be a good candidate.

As I've gotten older, my lashes are growing straight...

and sometimes in a downturned fashion. Would be nice not

to have them touching the bottom lashes when I blink.

Here's the YouTube video I mentioned:

https://youtu.be/fK7uTdExEhE

@sidsmom   Thanks!  I'll go check it out.

I have very straight lashes too.   I used to use Shiseido mascara primer for years which helped to keep them lifted after curling them but it was discontinued about two years ago. 

I tried several cheap & expensive lash primers until I found Dr. Mascara fixer on Amazon.  It's a Korean based company and it really works in keeping lashes lifted & curled!  Plus it's inexpensive...less than $10.00 a tube!

Respected Contributor

I have never tried false, I still have lashes thank goodness so I just build them up with mascara, always let each coat dry and sometimes even layer diff. mascaras, I don't pluck my eyebrows either, I figure as long as I have my own I'll leave well enough alone, will only use false if I start to have no lashes and will use a brow pencil if I start losing my brows, until then, keeping it real  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

False eyelases are SO easy to spot!!!  I prefer mascara!!!

Honored Contributor

I get better results when using a lash primer prior to mascara application.  My favorite is Lancome's lash primer.

Trusted Contributor

I used to wear false lashes every day, until I realized that they were pain in the butt to wear. Plus, I felt weird wearing them to the gym every day. It's just mascara for me now.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

I wore them on a date in '67. One fell in my soup. I noticed but date didn't. Went to ladies room and took the other one off. That was my first and last foray with them. I've noticed that some TV women are wearing heavy ones. Distracting. If it's noticeable it takes away from the look.

@lavendar What a cute story, thanks for the laugh!

Honored Contributor

It looks like every news woman, every celebity of every kind wears false eyelashes these days!  Some of them do look so heavy, they do look cumbersome!

I tried them once and I couldn't seem to get the hang of it and I was worried about the glue and having a reaction!  Also, I can't think that wearing these things every day would be good for your natural lashes?  Any thoughts on that?

I saw an article the other day about a girl who got a lash lift or curling, and then had her lashes dyed.  It looked great but to me, she looked like she already had very long lashes to begin with.  My lashes since getting older are very sparse and light so I doubt that the lift/curling procedure would work for me.

I guess I will stick with mascara -- when I wear it, which isn't often these days.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

It's mascara for me.

I never even attempted to apply false eyelashes. 

For one thing, I don't have the patience to apply them - mascara is so much easier and faster. Secondly, I wouldn't want glue anywhere near my eyes. Thirdly, I think they scream fake.

Certain QVC hosts go overboard with the fake lashes, when they're turned sideways and the camera comes in for a closeup I shudder when I see the fake lashes. Not only does it look awful, but I don't know how they're able to blink.

Respected Contributor

I've never tried, but I wear glasses so I think falsies defeat the purpose. If I wore my contacts, I'd still wouldn't wear them because I don't want glue on my eyes, so mascara it is.