Respected Contributor

I went to my local mall recently to get another mascara and was talking to the counter attendant about how I loved Bobbi Brown mascara...She said she use to - until she started wearing 'false eyelashes'.  Is mascara going out of style???  Sometimes, I wonder how ladies are able to blink with their heavy falsies on their lids.

Frequent Contributor

Re: False eyelashes vs mascara

Hi! I decided I would try the trend myself a couple months ago. Learned how to apply from YouTube videos. Yes. You get a dramatic look. But for me it was too time consuming for daily use and I’m a big makeup user. Plus sometimes one would start to come loose during the day and I realized I didn’t want the hassle of checking my eyelashes throughout the day! Returned to lash primer and mascara. Plus you also have to be careful that you apply the glue near your eyelashes so you don’t pull lashes out during removal. And the magnetic ones were a joke!! Even more time consuming and could get that to work at all!
Honored Contributor

I follow a YouTuber who did an at-home Eyelash Perm & Lift.

She made it look easy & was very satisfied w/ the results.

Naturally curling lashes so they already look 'done' even 

without the mascara.

Have you heard about this....or done it?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

without the mascara.

@sidsmom   I haven't heard of it...sounds interesting but a bit scary too.

Honored Contributor

@I was Sasha wrote:
Hi! I decided I would try the trend myself a couple months ago. Learned how to apply from YouTube videos. Yes. You get a dramatic look. But for me it was too time consuming for daily use and I’m a big makeup user. Plus sometimes one would start to come loose during the day and I realized I didn’t want the hassle of checking my eyelashes throughout the day! Returned to lash primer and mascara. Plus you also have to be careful that you apply the glue near your eyelashes so you don’t pull lashes out during removal. And the magnetic ones were a joke!! Even more time consuming and could get that to work at all!

Totally agree. False eyelashes are a lot of work for everyday. And they are a tad bit damaging compared with mascara--agree that they occasionally can pull out a lash.

If I worked at a cosmetics counter, it might make sense to wear them since I'd want a full face of makeup that looked as amazing as possible.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Mascara for me. I have no desire to wear false lashes. I don’t think the false lashes look realistic in most cases. The idea of gluing them makes me fearful. I would be afraid of damaging the lashes I have. 

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I use a product called Lash Extension made by Ready to Wear cosmetics. It's powder fiber in a tube which you apply with a wand on top of your wet mascara. Then after you apply the fibers, you apply a second coat of your mascara to 'sandwich' in the fibers so they don't fall off. The results look like you're wearing falsies....it really does. I will warn you, however, there is a learning curve with the application of the fibers, But once you get that part then it turns out fantastic.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

without the mascara.

@sidsmom   I haven't heard of it...sounds interesting but a bit scary too.

@haddon9 

A Lash Lift...there are lash salons here in Dallas who do it but

ooof....the idea of a perming agent that close to my eyes makes

me too nervous to try!  I would be a good candidate.

As I've gotten older, my lashes are growing straight...

and sometimes in a downturned fashion. Would be nice not

to have them touching the bottom lashes when I blink.

Here's the YouTube video I mentioned:

https://youtu.be/fK7uTdExEhE

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

I went to my local mall recently to get another mascara and was talking to the counter attendant about how I loved Bobbi Brown mascara...She said she use to - until she started wearing 'false eyelashes'.  Is mascara going out of style???  Sometimes, I wonder how ladies are able to blink with their heavy falsies on their lids.

@sarahpanda   I can't wear falsies...they feel quite heavy. The most I've managed is a few individual whispies on the outer lash line...and that'd be to meet royalty. 😁

Honored Contributor

I can never get them to lie flush with my lash line and I've never found a pair that looked believable. The magnetic ones are no better. 

I use the Essence mascara line-all under $8 and I'm impressed with the fullness it gives my lashes.