Trusted Contributor

Re: False eyelashes vs mascara

I agree with those of you here not liking the look of false eyelashes.  There are much more natural ones available than those that many of the hosts here on the Q wear.  Some look like drag queens wearing them, which I understand some people (MALLY) think is a good look - NOT. 

I'll never understand those that want their makeup/cosmetics to look so obvious.  I mean let's face it, the more 'naturally' you can pull it off the better, right?

Esteemed Contributor

I have a friend who gets her lashes done at a salon.  She's a cancer survivor and shared with me that her lashes came out during chemo and never grew back.  I think it's great that these services/products exist for someone like her who can afford it and it makes her feel good.  

I think in some instances, the false lashes/extensions look good, while in others it's extreme.  I've never tried them since I'm satisfied with mascara (and sometimes add a lash primer).  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder if she meant she had lashes professionally applied?  I had lash extensions professionally done before the holidays last year.  My intention was to keep up with them always.  Typically you pay to have a full set done and then  you have to have them filled in every 2-3 weeks.  There are many styles to choose from and they are displayed and you pick what you want.

I never went and had them filled in because the whole thing was a pain.  You have to make sure everything you use on your eyes is 100% oil free.  That means any shadows, liners, cleanser, cream, make-up remover, etc.  

Wearing mascara is much, much easier.  I still do use the glue on extensions for special occassions but I wouldn't deal with them daily.   

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

I have a friend who gets her lashes done at a salon.  She's a cancer survivor and shared with me that her lashes came out during chemo and never grew back.  I think it's great that these services/products exist for someone like her who can afford it and it makes her feel good.  

I think in some instances, the false lashes/extensions look good, while in others it's extreme.  I've never tried them since I'm satisfied with mascara (and sometimes add a lash primer).  

I lost my lashes due to chemo, in June.  I had lash extensions.  I had them touched up every 2 weeks until last month.  I now have enough of my own lashes to use mascara.  Initially the extensions looked great and I was thrilled.  Eventually the upkeep was $$$$ and time consuming.