Super Contributor

False Advertising re: Facebook beauty ads (devices & skincare)

Hi ALL:

Lately my facebook acct has been flooded with ads selling devices (light therapy) and creams which promise to ELIMINATE cellulite.

Sounds to me like false advertising and bogus testimonials...I would image IF any device or cream REALLY ELIMINTED CELLULITE then it would be ALL over the media.

I realize that companies avoid FALSE advertising by using terms like “APPEARS to...”. Or “MAY...”.  However, the facebook ads seem to make bold promises.

Your thoughts?  Has anyone used a device or cream that ELMINATES cellulite?

TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: False Advertising re: Facebook beauty ads (devices & skincare)

I've had great success with Sol de Janeiro Brazilian bum bum cream.  I did not expect such great results and I'm astonished at how it's improved the texture of my backside and thighs.  Been using about 6-7 months.  I did not have a severe issue though, just some dimple/crinkle - ish areas.  They are gone now.  I don't even exercise either.  Which, I should.

Super Contributor

@Grouchomarx  WOW!  Maybe there is hope Woman Wink. Thanks for your reply

Honored Contributor

How is that different from all beauty ads?  How is that different from the beauty shows here?  They are all just selling women a dream.  They have some benefits but nothing that even approaches their claims.  That's the beauty biz.  Smart women know that.

Honored Contributor

Many Facebook ads are from fly by night companies. Beware.

Facebook accepts advertising from pretty much any and everyone. And the ads are so targeted to your personal info that they can be bought incredibly cheap. The person who set the ad could be based in any country, particularly ones without strong advertising or business laws. They can say and promise whatever they want without consequences. If they run into trouble, they shut down their low-cost online Shopify storefront and move on to the next scam.

If a shady company is based in the US, they can get sued or sanctioned by the FTC if they cause enough drama. But if they're based somewhere lawless, they don't have to worry about things like that. I would not buy anything from a Facebook or Instagram ad.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Another thing those companies do is they steal social media influencers' pictures and videos and pretend like the pictures and videos show the influencers using the product being advertised, which is completely false. They do it without permission or notification and all of a sudden the influencer starts getting questions from their fans about why they're giving testimonials on cheap wigs from Hong Kong on Facebook and Instagram. And the influencer can't do anything to stop it because there is no one in authority to contact.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

How is that different from all beauty ads?  How is that different from the beauty shows here?  They are all just selling women a dream.  They have some benefits but nothing that even approaches their claims.  That's the beauty biz.  Smart women know that.

Of course, you are correct that these sales tactics exist through ALL mediums..TV, print and online.  My point is that FRAUD (fraudulent claims) are illegal...RIGHT?

Super Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Many Facebook ads are from fly by night companies. Beware.

Facebook accepts advertising from pretty much any and everyone. And the ads are so targeted to your personal info that they can be bought incredibly cheap. The person who set the ad could be based in any country, particularly ones without strong advertising or business laws. They can say and promise whatever they want without consequences. If they run into trouble, they shut down their low-cost online Shopify storefront and move on to the next scam.

If a shady company is based in the US, they can get sued or sanctioned by the FTC if they cause enough drama. But if they're based somewhere lawless, they don't have to worry about things like that. I would not buy anything from a Facebook or Instagram ad.

GOT it

Respected Contributor

No different than the lies told every day by hosts and beauty vendors on QVC. Argon oil will temporarily moisturize your skin. That's all. Josie LIES and LIEs saying it removes wrinkles. The vendos' 'before and afters' are all fake. Topical products do not reduce or remove wrinkles. Shame on QVC.

Honored Contributor

Facebook appears to be subject to no regulations whatsoever.  Just today I found a Toyota Rav 4 listed for $500.00.  Upon close examination of the photo, the window sticker said $500.00 down.  That was a car dealer and they knew darn well what they were doing.