Honored Contributor

Re: Falling in Love and all the Philosophy fragrances?

[ Edited ]

@Shelbelle wrote:

@pam45 wrote:

Can someone offer a similar fragrance Philosophy's Falling in Love?  Thanks

Pink Sugar

I love FIL but I detest Pink Sugar.  To me Pink Sugar starts off much, much sweeter and then changes to smell like burned sugar.  I wouldn't say these 2 are the same.  Woman Wink

Trish McEvoy No. 9 is close but not identical. There is something different about it.  Maybe not as sweet?  It made me not care for No. 9 as much and I don't think No. 9 has lasting power either and for the price, it should.  

Honored Contributor

For me Pink Sugar and FIL are very close, but truthfully, there must be something in both of them that my skin does not like, both of them make my neck and chest area break out in big red welts, so does Uncondituinal Love and that one I like much better.  None of the other Phil. fragrances do that to me.

Regular Contributor

I don't think Falling in Love and Pink Sugar are similar at all. I wouldn't recommend that as a dupe. A lot of home based fragrance and skin care business have good dupes of the Philosophy scents. 

Respected Contributor

Many years ago I ordered an Amazing Grace set and didn't like the fragrance.  Wound up selling it on EBay.  Haven't ordered anything else from them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think Coty changed the formula because they changed the entire strategy for Philosophy fragrances.  Notice how everything, everything is presented as a "layering" fragrance.  They want you to use two or three items together -- showering gel (which they already say does not leave the shower, it's only a sensory experience while you are bathing with it), along with the spritz, and then rub on the creams and soufflés.  On top of that, they encourage mixing scents and repeating the process. 

It's like those recipes they print on the bottles -- they want you to mix and fold in and layer galore.  I think they diminished the essential formula from years ago to make the scents much less concentrated so they can just tell everyone to layer a lot. 

Consumers buy more products/layers = Coty saves money [less essential fragrance concentrations] = higher revenue for Coty.

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper

Coty must have been consulting Lori G!

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I think Coty changed the formula because they changed the entire strategy for Philosophy fragrances.  Notice how everything, everything is presented as a "layering" fragrance.  They want you to use two or three items together -- showering gel (which they already say does not leave the shower, it's only a sensory experience while you are bathing with it), along with the spritz, and then rub on the creams and soufflés.  On top of that, they encourage mixing scents and repeating the process. 

It's like those recipes they print on the bottles -- they want you to mix and fold in and layer galore.  I think they diminished the essential formula from years ago to make the scents much less concentrated so they can just tell everyone to layer a lot. 

Consumers buy more products/layers = Coty saves money [less essential fragrance concentrations] = higher revenue for Coty.

Interesting...a marketing strategy. Also it is more profitable for them to crank out those super sizing...packaging and shipping and handling less on their side.  Someone else pointed that out a while ago.

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@Goodie2shoes You make a good point.    I think this is true with a lot of the brands on the Q.    I had bought a Dell laptop several years ago and it died after 3 years.  the guy at the computer repair store said it was a cheaper version of the laptop....and non repairable....that's when I finally realized you're really not getting a great deal, as always, you get what you pay for!

I'm writing this from a Dell desktop computer I bought from QVC in the fall of 2006, and it's definitely repairable and obviously quite durable. Laptops are trickier when it comes to repairs.

Contributor

I've been complaining about this for years (to QVC and directly to Philosophy) but I've learned that all complaints fall on deaf ears.  Pure Grace is my fragrance of choice but I'm trying to wean myself away from it since the staying power is only a few minutes even when layered with shower gel, lotion, body spray, and fragrance.  It just does NOT last  beyond five minues which is ridiculous.

I recently purchased the Pure Grace Summer Surf and while I don't care for it (too flowery),  I noticed that the body lotion alone, without applying the fragrance, lasts all day. If they can do this with one fragrance, why can't they do it with all of them?  

I think the only way this might change is if they start feeling it in their pocketbook which, apparently, isn't happening.

I see that some have said that QVC sells a watered down version but I've purchased the fragrance from Sephora, Amazon and Ulta and see no difference.  They all have zero staying power.  

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@pam45 wrote:

Where do you buy Trish McEvoy 9...?  thanks

HSN has it

I purchase 9 & Sexy 9 at Nordstrom.