Valued Contributor

Re: Facial scrub

[ Edited ]

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I use a scrub a couple of days a week. I have oily skin. Prefer something with out a fragrance but you have all given me some good options to look into. Thanks again. Hope everyone staying healthy! 

Valued Contributor

@Shelbelle Clinique 7 day scrub is different. It's too greasy for me. I loved their Exfoliating Scrub. They changed their formula a few years ago. I adjusted to that but now they're changing it again. 

Esteemed Contributor

green tea & bamboo scrub

Some facial scrubs are too harsh, some don't do anything at all.  I've found the St. Ives Blackhead Clearing is the "Goldilocks" scrub for me.  I've used it for about 2 years -- in the shower 2 or 3 times a week.   Prior to that, I used the Olay Pore Scrub recommended by @SilleeMee.  Both keep my complexion blackhead free and smooth without being too harsh and scratchy.   The St. Ives is cheaper!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@mare54 

I'd ask @Shanus .  She does makeup professionally and is a powerhouse of knowledge on skin care.

@ECBG  Wow, you're full of compliments. Powerhouse? I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I prefer an acid type product for exfoliation instead of a manual scrub. I personally choose PTR Acid Peel Pads or Dr. Dennis Gross makes a 2 step peel pad. There are glycolic cleansers or toners with beta hydroxy properies.

Paula's Choice has several good manual scrubs if that's your preference. Just stay away from the scrubs with the larger granules on your skin. They can make microscopic  tears in your skin that are breeding grounds for bacteria and irritation. 

More "powerhouse" info: Before using any type of scrub or acid, be sure to check what other active ingredients are in your other skincare products. If using Vit.C, Retin A,  retinols or other creams or lotions with acids, it's not always necessary to have too much exfolitation...just not needed.

***When the dead cells turnover on the skin's surface, sometimes just using a rougher textured washcloth (on senstive skins, especially those with rosacea or reactive skin types) is all that's needed. On the body, the skin's a bit tougher. I use any drugstore manual scrub in a tube or tub. 

On the face, for spot pore cleaning, I like Biore Pore Cleanser strips or they have a gentle mask. That's different from a scrub. A product like that sits on the skin and then is removed. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   What's YOUR take on manual scrubs vs. using a liquid acid exfoliator? 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee   What's YOUR take on manual scrubs vs. using a liquid acid exfoliator? 

@Shanus 

I think they both serve their purpose and sometimes one method might be needed more than the other. Most physical exfoliants seem to work best on the surface where a chemical one would penetrate the outer layers of the skin thereby dissolving the cellular bonds which keep the skin cells stuck on the skin. I use both physical and chemical methods of exfoliation. Sometimes both back to back. It just depends what my skin needs at the time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch 

OT - QRxLabs has 20% off everything right now plus it ships free as usual. I'm really liking everything I've tried. Their glycolic serum and glycolic toner are very good. Those were my latest purchases since the peptide serum. So far so good.Woman Happy

@Desertdi 

....and anyone else who might be interested in the brand.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch 

OT - QRxLabs has 20% off everything right now plus it ships free as usual. I'm really liking everything I've tried. Their glycolic serum and glycolic toner are very good. Those were my latest purchases since the peptide serum. So far so good.Woman Happy

@Desertdi 

@SilleeMee  Thanks for the heads up! 😊

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch 

@Desertdi 

@SilleeMee  Thanks for the heads up! 😊

Funny, I was just looking at 2 eye products on amazon, and they were from this brand, not heard of it before. 

Honored Contributor

@mare54 

I know I'm late to this conversation, but I have 2 favorites (in this order):

1). WEN

2). O'o Hawaii Birdseed

20BEBB8A-1AE9-4A14-A2B0-0E2B1D89FAD5.jpeg

5682345D-5EA8-43B7-8A9A-35406F13EEB1.png

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.