Esteemed Contributor

Re: Facial oils...could use some advice please

[ Edited ]

Minimilist Beauty has the best advice for skin types and the use of facial oils.

Somehow I deleted her full explanation page. If you do a search on oils in this beauty board, though, I have linked it several times.

In any event, here are 2 of her pages on the subject.

But there are different compositions of the different oils that are better for the different skin types.

minimilistbeauty

acne-prone-skin/

Esteemed Contributor

@Ellabella wrote:
I have never used any oils but think I might benefit from one. I have very sensitive, break out prone skin but lately my skin needs something more than just moisturizer (Cerave pm). Are there any oils that work well for my skin type? Any advice or opinions you can give would very much appreciated! Thanks

Hi @Ellabella ... I have been mixing a couple drops of argan oil with my regular moisturizers .. and have been getting good results. My skin is so soft and the appearance of fine lines has diminished.   If I have any blemishes this mixture seems to get rid of them in no time.  I purchase my argan oil from Shea Terra Organic.  Their argan oil is the same as Josie Maran's .. but much cheaper.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LindaSal wrote:

Josie Maran argan oil!!!!!!

Hi @LindaSal ....  I have been purchasing my argan oil from Shea Terra Organics.  Their argan oil, imho,  is just as good as Josie Maran's but much cheaper.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Boehm Collector

Thank you for that information, I will check it out.

Esteemed Contributor

I have skin like yours and am in the same age range. i have good luck with Dr.Denese skincare products. Finally, after all these years of trying to find some product that helps instead of causing another issue. I use 2 or 3 drops of the hydroshield serum am and pm most days. It's amazing what a difference it makes. 

Trusted Contributor

I break out very easily and can use nothing containing silicones or algae.  I use argan oil regularly and have had no issues.  I even add a drop to my body lotions and moisturizers. 

Respected Contributor

I find what works for one person may not work for another. Why not try samples of some products first or go to sephora and get a sample in a small plastic jar (yes they do this when you ask). Even skincare brands at the counter in department stores (such as Clinique) will give you a sample to take home. Skincare is expensive and even drugstore brands can be good but you need to try it and see. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most oils can cause Milia on me too.  I have been using organic rosehip oil and maracuja and jojoba oils and love them! No breakouts or little white bumps. I will do a clay mask or a pumpkin peel and then serum and then I mix an oil in with my moisturizer as a last step.   

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

My skin is frustrating me too. I have always had oily skin prone to breakouts but after menopause my skin has changed so that my skin is a lot more normal but I get flaking skin in the T zone as the skin doesn't exfoliate well - especially in the area around my nose, forehead, and sometimes the lower chin area. I dermaplane and use a pumice brick to exfoliate the dead skin but it's a never ending task that I have to do more than once a week. I think maybe I need to add an oil cleanse to get that dead flaky skin off my face.

@TY, just a thought, but could it be that you are overexfoliating your skin and setting up that uncomfortable cycle?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Ellabella,      You may want to take a look at Marula oil.  It is suppose to be for skin prone to breakouts.  It absorbs quickly not like argan oil.  However, I suggest you Google and read up on it.  I purchase mine from Acure Organics for under $20 and Whole Foods carries it.  I use my marula oil at bedtime only and it has balanced my skin out to normal.     Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength