Super Contributor

Facial oils...could use some advice please

I have never used any oils but think I might benefit from one. I have very sensitive, break out prone skin but lately my skin needs something more than just moisturizer (Cerave pm). Are there any oils that work well for my skin type? Any advice or opinions you can give would very much appreciated! Thanks
Honored Contributor

Re: Facial oils...could use some advice please

@Ellabella

I followed this advice (similar skin to yours) - it has worked very well, and it's cheap!

https://wellnessmama.com/7569/oil-cleansing-method/

I use the olive/castor oil blend.

Honored Contributor

I'm 61 with normal to slightly dry skin. I get an occasional breakout usually when I use something new and different from my normal stuff. I am using rosehip oil, morning and during my off-nights from retin-a. I also use camellia oil after dermarolling because of its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. 

Esteemed Contributor

Josie Maran argan oil!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Ellabella wrote:
I have never used any oils but think I might benefit from one. I have very sensitive, break out prone skin but lately my skin needs something more than just moisturizer (Cerave pm). Are there any oils that work well for my skin type? Any advice or opinions you can give would very much appreciated! Thanks

I have sensitive, break out prone skin, too.  I tried many different kinds of oils, and so far, the only two that don't break me out are Tarte's Maracuja oil and Palmer's Facial Oil.  I like them both.  I don't use them every day. I just use them when my face feel like it needs extra moiststure. 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Ellabella

I followed this advice (similar skin to yours) - it has worked very well, and it's cheap!

https://wellnessmama.com/7569/oil-cleansing-method/

I use the olive/castor oil blend.

This is a good suggestion.

When people get dry skin, they often assume they need to change their moisturizer - and they may. But I found that when I start my routine by not stripping my skin with a harsh cleanser, it can make an even bigger difference than changing my moisturizer.

There are lots of great facial oils, so which one you choose really depends on your skin and preferences. Here are some I really like:

Jojoba

Rosehip 

Argan

Marula

Most of those I put on over my moisturizer because the oil acts as a seal and locks in the moisturizer. Jojoba I usually use in place of or under a moisturizer.

Occasional Contributor

Tatcha!  You will not be disappointed! 5* brand.  Immediate results. Will never, ever leave this line.  And, I was using ISClinical.  No comparison!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

My skin is similar to yours, and using oils hasn't worked out for me until, I started with Dr. Dennis Gross triple C peptide firming oil (2 drops in the morning) and Fresh's Seaberry Moisturizing Face Oil (2 drops at night).

I love these products, not cheap, but  very high quality and the bottles last for months. Perhaps you can get samples to try from Sephora  (may be having a sale soon, too).

Respected Contributor

I've been using Squalane Oil for about the past 7-8 years now without any problems.  Lots of multi ingredient moisturizers used to cause me to break out & this oil has never done that & I use a few drops twice a day on dampish skin after washing my face.  I buy an 8 oz bottle of it from Garden Of Wisdom once a year (I try to buy during the cooler months, since I live in the desert SW & don't like the thought of beauty products riding around in a mail or UPS truck all day when it's 100°+) I transfer the oil to a small brown glass bottle with a dropper & use from that & refill as needed.  Supposedly, squalane oil (from olives) is nearly identical to the oil that our skin produces naturally.

Esteemed Contributor

My skin is frustrating me too. I have always had oily skin prone to breakouts but after menopause my skin has changed so that my skin is a lot more normal but I get flaking skin in the T zone as the skin doesn't exfoliate well - especially in the area around my nose, forehead, and sometimes the lower chin area. I dermaplane and use a pumice brick to exfoliate the dead skin but it's a never ending task that I have to do more than once a week. I think maybe I need to add an oil cleanse to get that dead flaky skin off my face.