Frequent Contributor

If you were having a facial at the dermatologist's office, would you tip the woman doing your facial? Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

@Miami Spices wrote:

If you were having a facial at the dermatologist's office, would you tip the woman doing your facial? Thanks. 

@Miami Spices   Yes, I tip 20% just like a massage, my hair stylist, etc. Just because she's working out of a derm office, she's still just a salaried employee. Of course, if you were not happy w/ the service, the tip is commensurate with your satisfaction. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Miami Spices wrote:

No, not at the Dermatologist office. Now , if you bring a sm  gift  of food , coffee/tea  that's  nice for the Holidays.

Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Miami Spices wrote:

@Miami Spices   Yes, I tip 20% just like a massage, my hair stylist, etc. Just because she's working out of a derm office, she's still just a salaried employee. Of course, if you were not happy w/ the service, the tip is commensurate with your satisfaction. 

I do the same.

Honored Contributor

Re: Facial and Tipping

[ Edited ]

Yes. The reason is because facials, or any other services done at a salon or spa, would normally be given a tip even when those are done in a dermatology office. If you had a procedure, for instance a skin laser treatment or dermal fillers done by a technician or other medically licensed person, then I wouldn't tip for that. Anything which requires medical equipment or devices...no tipping there.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes. The reason is because facials, or any other services done at a salon or spa, would normally be given a tip even when those are done in a dermatology office. If you had a procedure, for instance a skin laser treatment or dermal fillers done by a technician or other medically licensed person, then I wouldn't tip for that. Anything which requires medical equipment or devices...no tipping there.

@SilleeMee   The field and knowledge of aestheticians has evolved greatly to include hours of training to use lasers, to do fillers, Botox, etc. They do not have to be medically licensed. Scary, but true. They require a weekend course in lasers and they're blasting your face!!!! 😫

Honored Contributor

Since when did 20% tip become the norm?   I always thought it was 15%.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Since when did 20% tip become the norm?   I always thought it was 15%.

@Katcat1   I judge by the type and length of service, not price. If facial is 90 min. including hot stone massage (for ex.) that's a lot of extra effort. Maybe a 1 hr. cleansing facial, no frills, masks, extractions, peels, would be 15%. 

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

@Miami Spices wrote:

No, not at the Dermatologist office. Now , if you bring a sm  gift  of food , coffee/tea  that's  nice for the Holidays.

that is where I disagree,  I wouldn't want more stuff,  

best practice ask when you make the appt for the tipping policy 

Honored Contributor

Re: Facial and Tipping

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

@Miami Spices wrote:

that is where I disagree,  I wouldn't want more stuff,  

best practice ask when you make the appt for the tipping policy 

@jackthebear   Re: bringing food. Are we talking about tipping at holidays or just in general? I don't think food is appropriate during the year...