Honored Contributor

Facial Sunscreen needed -- nothing oily, greasy, sticky, fragrant, or expensive!

I know this has probably been addressed before but I'm not sure if my exact problem has been, so here goes!

I have been depending on receiving sun protection from the SPF in my makeup and also my regular moisturizer because I have not ever found a sunscreen I can stand!  I can't abide a greasy, sticky feel, or a sunscreen that will pill or roll, when I try to put my primer, foundation, concealer, powder -- what have you -- on! 

I am very fair, and sensitive, age 65, and I need a product that is fragrance free.  

Also, I can't do expensive.  It has to be under $20.  

Another question --- do you use your sunscreen in place of your moisturizer?  Or do you use suncreen first and still your moisturizer?  I am afraid that I am going to start breaking out if I add too many things on.  That's another reason I have been avoiding a separate sunscreen product.  I don't want to look like I have an oil slick on my face either.

I just tried one by CeraVe --- thinking since the regular lotion is so nice and light, this will be. Wrong!  Felt very greasy and heavy.  It's going back!!

Thank you as always for your very good assistance! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Facial Sunscreen needed -- nothing oily, greasy, sticky, fragrant, or expensive!

I'd like to know, too!    Everything I have tried is drippy, greasy, or has an aroma.......    I'm still looking for the "perfect" one.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Re: Facial Sunscreen needed -- nothing oily, greasy, sticky, fragrant, or expensive!

I think this might be the hardest product after foundation to find that fits the bill.  I am looking too.  I hate a ton of layers on my combination skin still prone to occasional breakouts at 67 years old.

Honored Contributor

I bought misha sunscreen to try , it is not for me because it feels drying to me , but you might like it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Do you like crushed mineral makeup - ie. bare minerals powder and the like?  Many of them contain titanium dioxide, which is a sunscreen.  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I know this has probably been addressed before but I'm not sure if my exact problem has been, so here goes!

I have been depending on receiving sun protection from the SPF in my makeup and also my regular moisturizer because I have not ever found a sunscreen I can stand!  I can't abide a greasy, sticky feel, or a sunscreen that will pill or roll, when I try to put my primer, foundation, concealer, powder -- what have you -- on! 

I am very fair, and sensitive, age 65, and I need a product that is fragrance free.  

Also, I can't do expensive.  It has to be under $20.  

Another question --- do you use your sunscreen in place of your moisturizer?  Or do you use suncreen first and still your moisturizer?  I am afraid that I am going to start breaking out if I add too many things on.  That's another reason I have been avoiding a separate sunscreen product.  I don't want to look like I have an oil slick on my face either.

I just tried one by CeraVe --- thinking since the regular lotion is so nice and light, this will be. Wrong!  Felt very greasy and heavy.  It's going back!!

Thank you as always for your very good assistance! 

Hi @AngelPuppy1. I use Neutrogena Dry Touch when I’m not using the Skinceuticals Tinted spf. Neutrogena one is emollient enough that I don’t use a moisturizer with it...I don’t find find it to be greasy...be sure to allow all skincare to dry before the next layer...sometimes 5 minutes between moisturizers and a primer & foundation. One reason I eliminated the primer...too much time involved w/ dry down time between products. That’s the one I found was optional for me. Primer is also the one that causes most problems by not playing well...rolling...w/ other moisturizer, foundation.

Valued Contributor

I was going to recommend the ultra- light moisturizing CeraVe SPF 30 that was recommended to me by an esthetician. I have been using it over a couple of products (hyaluronic acid, daily moisturizer) and it's not greasy at all.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like Australian Gold Botanical SPF 50 Tinted Face Lotion.  It's also available in untinted and spray, also in SPF30.  Available at Target, Walgreens, Amazon,Ulta, etc., around $13.99.  Ulta has a special right now, buy 1 get 1 @50% off.  I just ordered 4 from ulta.com.  It's one of the few sunscreens that don't irritate my eyes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Neutrogena Ultrasheer Liquid SPF 70. I apply it just under my foundation. But here's the thing...it takes a while to come to a state of dryness and reduced shine. When I first apply it feels and looks oily but not after about 15 to 20 minutes which is the amount of wait-time recommended before going into the sun. 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I like to know, too!! I have not found any facial sunscreen taht is oily, gresay, heavy and heavily fragranced.