Honored Contributor

Re: Facial Essence - Do you use it? Recommendations?

[ Edited ]

I agree that there is a difference. My understanding is that a toner returns the skin to a normal pH after cleansing, masking, peels, etc. whereas an essence has actual treatment type ingredients (actives) that will penetrate to the deeper layers because the particles are smaller. I use the rose water as a toner replacement (I misspoke when I said “essence” in my first post - will correct) even though I think there are softening and skin conditioning benefits to it that may not be found in an actual toner.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I agree that there is a difference. My understanding is that a toner returns the skin to a normal pH after cleansing, masking, peels, etc. whereas an essence has actual treatment type ingredients (actives) that will penetrate to the deeper layers because the particles are smaller. I use the rose water as a toner replacement (I misspoke when I said “essence” in my first post - will correct) even though I think there are softening and skin conditioning benefits to it that may not be found in an actual toner.

@JeanLouiseFinch  I don't use a toner on a regular basis. Really like the TJ's rose toner bc it's a spray bottle and inexpensive, love to spritz it for a refresher or cooling - that's why I keep it in the rerefrigerator

Just to clarify. If you use a toner, it is NOT a replacement for Essence

If you need/want to choose 1 or the other, I think Essence is a better option.

And it's worth the 'investment' to buy a good Essence

Hopefully others with suggestions will contribute!  I'm going to do more research on options and will post my findings

Thanks everyone!!!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Super Contributor

I like DHC Super Collagen Mist.  I spray it on before moisturizer and I really believe it has helped firm up my skin.

Honored Contributor

Many toners are the type with alcohol for oily skin. Some balance ph after cleansing. An essence or mist is in a rare category.  I use a Bobbi Brown Hydrating Toner on a cotton pad in the morning to cleanse my face. I have a toner after cleansing at night w/ acids that I use nights I don't use Retin A. 

Essences: This is a broad category. Some are simple like rose water mists used to just refresh during the day or set a powder foundation. Some essences have active ingredients. The one I have (given to try, but don't see enough purpose to purchase) is Bobbi Brown's Extra Treatment Lotion, a clear thicker lotion that goes on w/ a cotton pad to hydrate the skin (leaves a layer of moisture) before applying skincare. It has hyaluronic acid, grapefruit oil, etc. It's very refreshing, but an unnecessary extra step. 

I do think moisturizers sit better on damp skin, as in water, although face should be dry before applying any skincare like acid pads, Retin A, etc. so the active ingredients are not diluted. 

Honored Contributor

FYI for those that enjoy the rose water mists, you can purchase rose water in most health food stores or grocery stores w/ organic health care sections. Mix it 75% to 25% bottled water in a spray bottle. It's so similar to ones w/ expensive labels (minus some added ingredients that aren't necessary). It's difficult to tell the difference. In the warmer months, keep in the frig.

Esteemed Contributor

I've used a few different essences, one from Sokoglam (but I don't recall which one -- they have so many now! -- the best one I've liked was Tatcha. Active Argan, but I don't see it available now.

Then I've made my own....fermenting rice water, adding green tea, a splash of lemon.

Many of the essences are for brightening (I do not really need that) and many for added hydration (always good!). So, it really depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

The only other is that some leave a bit of tackiness (which I would not prefer), so you should look out for that, especially if you use makeup on top.

I will, however, respectfully disagree w/ @Shanus (who always has great advice), about using actives on damp skin. I've researched until the cows come home, and I've concluded that dampness on the skin helps for better product absorption. So, an essence, imo, is a good idea.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa  Retin A needs to be applied to dry skin since it is meant to exfoliate overnight. In the mornings, if your skin's wet before applying Vit. C serum, that serum becomes diluted. Applying an acid toner or pad when skin is wet, mixes that water w/ the active acids and weakens the effectiveness. Damp skin does, however help moisturizers glide on easier and absorb.  I'll stand by my statement. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

I've used a few different essences, one from Sokoglam (but I don't recall which one -- they have so many now! -- the best one I've liked was Tatcha. Active Argan, but I don't see it available now.

Then I've made my own....fermenting rice water, adding green tea, a splash of lemon.

Many of the essences are for brightening (I do not really need that) and many for added hydration (always good!). So, it really depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

The only other is that some leave a bit of tackiness (which I would not prefer), so you should look out for that, especially if you use makeup on top.

I will, however, respectfully disagree w/ @Shanus (who always has great advice), about using actives on damp skin. I've researched until the cows come home, and I've concluded that dampness on the skin helps for better product absorption. So, an essence, imo, is a good idea.

@Harpa 

I agree with you about dampness on the skin helping for better product absorption.

According to Dr. Harold Lancer:

“You can increase the penetration of the products by spraying your face lightly with springwater before applying each. Doing this is like using low-calorie mayonnaise on a sandwich to bind the layers of ingredients.”

Excerpt From: Harold Lancer. “Younger.” 

I've just recently started doing this.

@Shanus From what I've read applying Retin-a to damp skin will cause it to absorb better which can irritate one's skin which is why it isn't recommended. 

Quarrels end, but words once spoken never die... African Proverb
Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl 

Years ago I used Shiseido Eudermine Revitalizing Essence but it's been so long since I've used it I can't remember much about it... it does have a cult following though.

Quarrels end, but words once spoken never die... African Proverb
Trusted Contributor

@Tennessee Vol wrote:

@Shanus From what I've read applying Retin-a to damp skin will cause it to absorb better which can irritate one's skin which is why it isn't recommended. 

This is also what I've read and what I've determined to be true based on what's happened to me.  The times I've got impatient and applied Retin-a immediately after washing and drying my face I've always had irritation/dry patches the next day.  That's why it's recommended to wait at least 20 minutes after washing your face to apply it.