Respected Contributor

Face sunscreen that does not clog pores?

I am constantly on the search for a facial sunscreen I don't dread applying.   They always feel heavy and after a week or so I see those clogged pores in the 10x mirror.  I have been using mineral sunscreens.  I have oily t zone so it takes little to clog.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Face sunscreen that does not clog pores?

Isomers makes a special sunscreen that blocks it from entering your skin.

Trusted Contributor

@chiclet 

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Search for a powder one that comes with a retractable brush. Those are great. I use a Peter Thomas Roth one but it seems to have been discontinued. Paula's Choice makes one that's well regarded and there are others too. I love these because you just brush them on, and they're portable. I don't like the feel of products on my face, so this does the trick. They don't clog pores.

ETA the ones I've used and seen are mineral formulas using titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, both of which are recommended UVA/UVB physical barrier sunblocks.

Honored Contributor

A nice pretty baseball cap.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I avoid getting clogged pores from anything by using an oil cleanser with a sonic brush. I also use glycolic acid to help clean out my pores regularly. Most water-resistant sunscreens require more than just a daily cleanser to remove them so you might look for one that specifically addresses cleansing waterproof/water-resistant type products.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

A nice pretty baseball cap.

@Imaoldhippie   Nope, that leaves your ears exposed. My friend wore those caps and got skin cancer on the top of one ear and by the time they removed it, most of that portion of her ear was gone.... Awful. It's best to wear a full hat, not straw because it still lets in the sun, with a very wide brim. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I avoid getting clogged pores from anything by using an oil cleanser with a sonic brush. I also use glycolic acid to help clean out my pores regularly. Most water-resistant sunscreens require more than just a daily cleanser to remove them so you might look for one that specifically addresses cleansing waterproof/water-resistant type products.

@SilleeMee   ITA. A quick wash at night w/ a gentle cleanser or makeup remover wipes do not dissolve most sunscreens. I double cleanse with an oil first and then another cleanser that suds up. If prone to clogged pores, acids or a gentle scrub are necessary to keep them clear.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I have some wide-brim baseball style caps that fit over the tops of my ears so they appear tucked under the cap but not silly looking. It's the back of my neck that I'm concerned about b/c I can't reach back there to put sunscreen on and I hate wearing scarves.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus 

I have some wide-brim baseball style caps that fit over the tops of my ears so they appear tucked under the cap but not silly looking. It's the back of my neck that I'm concerned about b/c I can't reach back there to put sunscreen on and I hate wearing scarves.

@SilleeMee   Now that my hair is short, I DO need to apply SPF on back of neck. I keep a wide brim hat in the car and also wear it walking the dog or any time I'm outside for longer periods of time.