Respected Contributor

Re: Face Shaving...help!

[ Edited ]

I prefer shaving for facial hair but my skin won't tolerate it - wet or dry. And I have tried all kinds of shaving foams, gels, etc. But my skin always gets irritated.  I have to tweeze my chin hairs daily, which is a nuisance, but that is the only thing that halfway works.  Once a week I use the extra gentle Buf-Puf for a little extra exfoliation.

Shaving just doesn't work for everyone.  I wish it did.

ETA: The website did not hold the selected font for the entire post.  I redid the smaller fonts.  Hope it took.

Respected Contributor

I've had facial hair problem all my life, it runs in the family.  I tried waxing twice and I never eve finished a session; it just hurt to much.  I hear those machines hurt too and one woman where I work had a very, very bad experienced with one of the.  It scraped or ripped skin off her face.  No way will go that route.  I started shaving a couple of years ago and it saved my skin and gave me results that I would never have believed.  It's amazing.  I really don't get any visible stubble and I have dark almost black hair.  In summer, I shave every other day.  Hair grows quicker in the heat.  In winter, every 2-3 days.  I can feel the re-grown before it becomes visible.  I do use a rich, thick shaving cream and that might be the key to my success.  I don't know the brand but I use a shaving cream that's meant for legs.  I put a liberal amount on my face and shave with one of those little pastel lady razors.  Zip, zip and Mama has a nice, smooth, hairless face.  Now several of my friends shave their upper lip areas.  I wonder if OP is shaving with just soap.  Ouch!   I think that might account for her rash and why she isn't getting a clean, smooth shave.  Also, I cannot wrap my head around why feels shame about shaving....even with a doctor who obviously knows that many women have facial hair problems.  That sounds so bizarre to me.  Why go to a doctor if you are only going to lie to the doctor?   Obviously, OP can't give shaving another try until that rash or irritation clears up.  Stubble or not.  After it does clear up, try shaving with a shaving cream, even if it's your husband's.  Shaving cream is shaving cream. 

Honored Contributor

@KHJ wrote:

So NOPE, I haven't been using any type of soap or shaving cream :-(.  The blogs I read said a dry razor.  So that's what I did.  I guess maybe I should try, b/c there is no way I'm letting it grow out like some of you suggested.  Facial hair is not attractive at all on women, IMO.  I am sensitive to shaving on my legs so its probably the same deal on my face.  The Derm said the rash wasn't bacteria or folliculitis (sp)  She gave it a name, but I can't remember it for the life of me.  I know I should have told her about the shaving but I was embarrassed.  And to be honest I didn't do it b/c I had a lot of facial hair, I did it for even foundation coverage.  Now I feel like I have a lot of hair :-(. 

Presumably you did not just become a woman yesterday, so what did you do about your facial hair before you tried the razor? Maybe you should go back to that.

Honored Contributor

You might want to try a face cream to remove the hair.

I never had a problem with chin hair until just a few years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

I do the same as June22. No problems and no stubble.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@KHJ wrote:

So NOPE, I haven't been using any type of soap or shaving cream :-(.  The blogs I read said a dry razor.  So that's what I did.  I guess maybe I should try, b/c there is no way I'm letting it grow out like some of you suggested.  Facial hair is not attractive at all on women, IMO.  I am sensitive to shaving on my legs so its probably the same deal on my face.  The Derm said the rash wasn't bacteria or folliculitis (sp)  She gave it a name, but I can't remember it for the life of me.  I know I should have told her about the shaving but I was embarrassed.  And to be honest I didn't do it b/c I had a lot of facial hair, I did it for even foundation coverage.  Now I feel like I have a lot of hair :-(. 

Presumably you did not just become a woman yesterday, so what did you do about your facial hair before you tried the razor? Maybe you should go back to that.

I am not the OP but I never had facial hair until age 52.  I only have peachfuzz on the sides of my face.  Nothing on the lip or chin.  Only dry shaving works for me.  I never have stubble because it is so fine.  One solution doesn't work for everyone because of different hair texture. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Face Shaving...help!

[ Edited ]

I feel your pain, OP.  I also take a razor to my chin.  But the Gillette Razor with the Olay soap on the top and bottom of the razor head has done wonders to prevent cutting and lubricates the skin at the same time it cuts the chin and lip hairs.  Use a coupon to buy the initial razor and you get one soap/razor blade.  Then look for coupons which are $3 off the pricey razor refills.  It does help.  I only use the soap/razor blade twice a week.  It does a good job for me.

Good luck on finding the razor that works for you.

Respected Contributor

I have very delicate skin.  I use an electric razor on clean dry skin twice per week.  I have 3-4 coarse hairs I have to pluck, too.  The electric razors adapt to your face and don't take much pressure at all.  If you have to, go back to the dr. and confess.  They have heard it all.

Trusted Contributor

The best shave with the longest retarded hair growth and best for your skin (blemish- wise) should be done with a regular blade razor (like Bic,etc.) and foamy shaving cream exactly as men do.

But always shave a well -scrubbed face, never with creams or make up on.

Be sure to use a gentle moisturizer afterwords, washing off the shaving cream.

Clean your razor thoroughly and store in a dry place. Don't overuse it. Change it often.

Put very warm water on your face first, apply a thick coat of the shaving cream, and let it sit for a couple of minutes while it sets up the hair on your face. Shave gently but thoroughly.

Wash off well, pat dry and apply a good moisturizer.

Clean your razor as mentioned.

Done.

This will look beautiful and your make up will go on best !

And no, it will not EVER make hair grow back thicker and/or darker.

This is one of the biggest myths ever yet some people believe it themselves, but it is NOT true.

Contributor

You're right Chynna Blue, I didn't become a woman yesterday...been one for 38 years.  I have never had a lot of hair on my face, just peach fuzz that I could see in the light after I applied foundation/powder.  And I didn't do anything to it.  So after reading the blogs and articles I decided to give it a try b/c it promised smoother application etc.   But now that I've shaved, I can see it more, so I can't stop.  Returning to what I did (nothing), isn't an option.