Honored Contributor

FYI: TEETH WHITENING PRODUCTS

I'm noticing some of the vendors, hosts and models who demo these whitening treatments have porcelain veneers...they don't stain and are always bright white. I know because I have them on my teeth. Coffee, red wine...whatever they mention that stains teeth, does not stain veneers. False advertising at its best.

Honored Contributor

Re: FYI: TEETH WHITENING PRODUCTS

@Shanus wrote:

I'm noticing some of the vendors, hosts and models who demo these whitening treatments have porcelain veneers...they don't stain and are always bright white. I know because I have them on my teeth. Coffee, red wine...whatever they mention that stains teeth, does not stain veneers. False advertising at its best.

@Shanus     I still wonder if all those bleaching chemicals and "lights" don't cause permanent damage after years of use.      I have front crowns and back implants,  which is a bad enough situation.......but I wonder if there will be a whole generation of toothless  middle age folks who weakened their teeth  themselves with chemicals.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi  I've asked DD, my resident hygienist. She says too much whitening causes sensitivity to teeth and trays can disrupt the position of the teeth. She recommends having it done at a dental office with trays made for your mouth. You bring your tray back about twice a year for another treatment.

Most dentists will say that even whitening toothpastes have abrasive particles that can damage the enamel on teeth and cause sensitvity to hot/cold.

Honored Contributor

Not all veneers are made of porcelain. Composite (resin) veneers will stain.

Valued Contributor

I have many crowns on my front and other parts of mouth.  They never looked white until now.  My Periodentist told me start using Hydrogen Peroxide every night.  1% HP to 3% water.   Not for whiting but for the sores I get on my gums.  I can not believe how all of my teeth are whiter.  Have to be careful using HP and not over do it.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Most dentists use porcelain. Composite veneers are rare.
Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Most dentists use porcelain. Composite veneers are rare.

That's not true. The type of veneer applied is chosen according to the person's preference and price point. While porcelain is more durable and longer lasting than composite, the cost to replace one is high...they are not repairable but replaceable. Composite is durable but easier to chip than porcelain. Repairing composite costs a lot less than a porcelain replacement. Some people don't want porcelain b/c they are hard on their teeth and composite can be repaired so they choose that route.

Regular Contributor

FYI..................

Avoid staining foods:

Although porcelain veneers are able to resist stains, they do become stained over time. They behave quite like your natural teeth and so you need to be equally careful. Avoid stain-causing foods and beverages like coffee, tea, red wine, soy sauce, berries, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Shepherd   I guess I'm lucky. I have the porcelain veneers on all my teeth, except a few back molars which had crowns, about 16 years ago and they've never stained. I have regular 6 month dental cleanings, but do eat blueberries, have coffee every day, etc.

Honored Contributor

Tooth whitening devices won't help me anyways.  My top front teeth are crowns which match my already non-white surrounding teeth.  We did try a whitening treatment from the dentist before I got those crowns, but it didn't really do anything.  Seems whitening only works for yellowing and if you have any gray in your teeth it doesn't work.  I'm now forbidden from using ANY whitening product including Sensodyne w/whitening due to the sensitivity of my teeth.