Honored Contributor

All the liquid primers we’re seeing lately started in the European markets and there are referred to as “Essenses”. They’re supposed to leave a moist film on skin to better hold the foundation. 

My vote not in yet. Anyone try these?

Esteemed Contributor

I've tried Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Water and their Primer Oil.  I wasn't impressed with the Water used as a primer.  I would only use it over makeup as a refresher or setting spray.  The Oil was quite impressive.  It serves as an excellent moisture layer, and contrary to what one may think actualy keeps makeup looking fresh and there's no greasy look.  Furthermore, the makeup does not slip and slide as some may think would happen -- and can with some regular oil moisturizers.  

Honored Contributor

Re: FYI PRIMERS

[ Edited ]

I kind of agree with that part of putting a moisture lock on the skin to hold on to makeup. Here's what I think...if you want something to stick then you wouldn't put silicone on it beforehand...would you?

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I kind of agree with that part of putting a moisture lock on the skin to hold on to makeup. Here's what I think...if you want something to stick then you wouldn't put silicone on it beforehand...would you?

@SilleeMee  I’ve thought as a primer as two fold....Application after skincare to seal that in and before foundation to make that last longer. Having difficulty seeing a “water” doing either. May have to get a sample & give it a go.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Shanus  I have a bunch of Laura Mercier's sample primers.  I have never felt that the primer made my tinted moisturizer stay on longer.  I never use them.   It seems that we tend to jump on the band wagon when a new product comes out. Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I've used a Korean essence for many years.  It was a first step after cleansing, but other treatment products went over it.  I never considered it to be a primer.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Shanus  I have a bunch of Laura Mercier's sample primers.  I have never felt that the primer made my tinted moisturizer stay on longer.  I never use them.   It seems that we tend to jump on the band wagon when a new product comes out. Cat Very Happy

@Katcat1  So true. I don’t wear a primer. I feel if my skin is exfoliated so it’s smooth and not patchy & my skin is well hydrated before I begin the mu process, a primer is an unnecessary step. As far as making makeup stay on longer? If I apply it around 9AM and it still looks OK at 9PM when I begin to take it off, how much longer does it need to stay put? 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I've used a Korean essence for many years.  It was a first step after cleansing, but other treatment products went over it.  I never considered it to be a primer.

@JeanLouiseFinch  So you used it more as a toner?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch  So you used it more as a toner?

@Shanus- I guess you could say that, sort of, since it went on right after cleansing, but my purpose was to moisten and prepare my skin to receive the other treatment products.  My understanding is that moist skin helps serums and such penetrate deeper.  I'm no scientist so I can't prove or disprove that, but I'm sticking with it since it seems to work.  After several years of the essence, I'm setting it aside right now to give true rose water a try.  

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch I was hoping you saw this because I remember you talking about it.  I've tried a couple and still undecided.  It is a watery product and no way is it a primer.  At least not the ones I used.

@Shanus where did you read that it's a primer and developed in Europe?  Everything I've read, when researching it, indicates it is a step in your skincare routine for treatment and hydration.  Also it is Asian/Korean in origin.  A quick Google just now confirms that.  I searched Skin Essence Primer and nothing shows up that says anything about what you have stated.