Trusted Contributor

Re: FULL MAKEUP TONITE....GRRRR!

@shunus perhaps the full face of is not noticed because you do it well? I do try to look a certain way for certain occasions, which includes modifying my makeup. On a regular day out, I typically would not wear foundation, just a BB cream with my eyeliner and a soft lip. For a wedding, I might add lip liner, mascara foundation, blush and contour and spend time blending, although I hope I never look like I put in on with a trowel.
Do the math.
Respected Contributor

The two people who told me I looked beautiful did not mention my m/u. I told my niece, who wears m/u but I didn't my male friend but I've noticed when I do wear m/u he comments. He's a close friend and has seen me many ways including hospital visits.

I have Crohn's disease and a few other autoimmune diseases. I don't like to look sick so I've really gotten into "paint and powder." I remember putting blush on before a doctor's visit because I looked so pale. My mother, who was visiting, told me to take it off. She was right. If I wear m/u to a m.d. appointment, I leave off the blush.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus

I only do my makeup for myself and not for others but I do like to dress nicely when I'm meeting people, especially people I don't know or haven't seen in a while. I think it's the stress of anticipating meeting a group of people though that bothers me. I like to be prepared but that means that I like to look like myself, just a better version with natural looking makeup.

When I went to an informal college reunion a couple of weeks ago I ended up having a major hot flash and thought I sweated my makeup off. At least I had makeup with me to fix my face and a supply of Starbucks napkins to blot the sweat. Whew!

But I get what you're saying about a full face of makeup. It's almost like in today's instagram world that you expect a full face of makeup looks like a youtube pix after a get ready with me beauty tutorial. I actually saw a woman at Starbucks today that looked like an instagram selfie including the heavy false eyelashes, dark obvious contouring and sharpie pen looking eyebrows. It was unusual looking for a place that is as casual as a Starbucks.

Honored Contributor

Start to finish 15 minutes? That's lightening speed! I could never apply mine that quickly. I take 40 minutes on a full-face day. I always wear a full face when I work at the office, but most days I work from home & wear only my CC cream. I wear a full-face when we have an evening out with friends, but maybe only CC cream, eyebrows, mascara & lipstick for a sunset cocktail & pu-pus.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife - on a full makeup day, I couldn’t do mine in 15 minutes either.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

Start to finish 15 minutes? That's lightening speed! I could never apply mine that quickly. I take 40 minutes on a full-face day. I always wear a full face when I work at the office, but most days I work from home & wear only my CC cream. I wear a full-face when we have an evening out with friends, but maybe only CC cream, eyebrows, mascara & lipstick for a sunset cocktail & pu-pus.

@SurferWife  Good morning & Happy Labor Day. I read it takes 40 minutes for you to do full makeup. Out of curiosity, what do you add to your usual routine? Strip of lashes? Contouring? Hope you’ll share.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

It has never occurred to me that makeup is a sign of respect to others.   

Me neither. 

This past Thursday, I had the delightful luck to sit next to a woman on a flight from LAS-DTW who is very famous. She was on her way to a funeral. Yep, that funeral. By the OP's "standards" she was unkept and disrespectful to those around her because she was dressed quite comfortably and wearing absolutely no make-up (same for me as well). I respected her space and privacy and waited for her to initiate any conversation, and we had a wonderful chat for a couple of hours. Had I judged her by her clothing and lack of makeup, I would've missed a fantastic opportunity. 

Quite frankly, I find the constant need to brag about how well groomed one perceives that they are in comparision to others and use that as a tool to presume superiority to be very strange. 

@FrostyBabe1  For the record, I only wear moisturizer/eye cream when in flight. The air is really dry. Not many women wear a lot, if any, makeup when flying.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus...I don’t think I do a lot more than many women; I think I just take my time applying it. It consists of:

concealer

foundation

setting powder

eye shadow (I play with this step, using 4 colors)

eyebrows

eye liner

mascara

lip liner, lipstick

contouring

blush

final dusting of powder

setting spray

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@Shanus...I don’t think I do a lot more than many women; I think I just take my time applying it. It consists of:

concealer

foundation

setting powder

eye shadow (I play with this step, using 4 colors)

eyebrows

eye liner

mascara

lip liner, lipstick

contouring

blush

final dusting of powder

setting spray

@SurferWife  Thanks for sharing. I’m mostly a 2 eyeshadow gal, don’t powder twice and instead of liner...do tiny dots between lashes. No setting spray here either. Good routine, though. I may be able to do it faster from having to do “speedy work” on others, too. It’d be quite relaxing to take my time.

Trusted Contributor

How was your evening?  I hope you had a wonderful time! I'm sure you looked lovely. 

I haven't put a full face of makeup on all summer.  It's been so muggy it just melts off -

Really looking forward to fall and getting life back to normal.