Honored Contributor

Re: FIRST MAKEUP CLIENT TODAY!!! 😳

@MrsCat21   I'm assuming you're referring to the bottom waterline. I use a pencil by Tarte called "Inner Rim Liner". It's a bone automatic pencil with a yellowish cast that off sets the red. 

Trusted Contributor

@Re: FIRST MAKEUP CLIENT TODAY!!! 😳

@ShanusI cant find a Tarte liner called "Inner Rim Liner".  Maybe its Fake Awake?tarte Fake Awake Eyeliner Image 2

tarteFake Awake Eyeliner

Honored Contributor

Re: @Re: FIRST MAKEUP CLIENT TODAY!!! 😳

@MrsCat21   They may have changed the name since I purchased in bulk last year. Looks the same as that pencil. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   Good for you.  You must have looked really good and the woman took notice. The sales girls in cosmetics probably had a one day class for doing makeup.  they are not dedicated like you are.  Make sure you have the hand sanitizer and offer it at the beginning to your client.  Stay safe.  Let us know the outcome.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gotcha @Katcat1 . Sanitizer for both, thermometer first and I keep my mask on the entire time. Full report of the session somewhere in this thread. Yes, I think almost 30 yrs. of knowledge and practice beats out a weekend course, if counter help is lucky to get that.

Contributor

That's a terrible thing to say about someone doing an honest days work.  How smug you are.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I bet they were green with envy when they saw her new and improved look!  A shot of confidence is something we could all use right now with all that is going on.  If someone wants to copy, it is flattering!  You are always willing to help and I thank you!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   Wanting to copy is flattering, but every woman has unique features and when I started with Bobbi, she taught the importance of a client feeling a better version of themselves, not trying to look like someone else.

When a woman brings in a photo of a celebrity and says "I want that look", I have to gently talk her down off the ledge. If I can convince her she has her own beauty/style and begin working from there, we'll have success. Sometimes it takes a little "girlfriend honesty" & a look in the mirror together. Yes, her eyes may not be as large as she'd like, but wow, look at those cheekbones, etc. Makeup can bring out the best features while making  others secondary.

The few failures are when the women have unreal expectations. I want to say, "I'm a makeup artist, not a magician", but I can't. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus      I have a couple of questions..

NARS "O" Multiples (cream blush) ...is the word MULTIPLES part of the name of the color of blush you used?  I did try looking up the Nars "O"...and multples was not a part of the name..also in the description it made me think the color is a bit sparkly....or did I misunderstand?  I am 65 and do not need sparkle on my face.

The eyeliner...top waterline....this may be a silly question but does top mean top of my eye lid or the top of the INSIDE of my eyelid?  I really need to bump up the look to my eyes...while I am very healthy my eyes generally seem to look tired, which I am not...the waterline technique sounds interesting to me.

I live in a rural area and the malls near me carry the traditional make up brands...Clinique, Lancome, Estee Lauder, etc.  I have never found the make up associates to be very helpful....

thank you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Shanus      I have a couple of questions..

NARS "O" Multiples (cream blush) ...is the word MULTIPLES part of the name of the color of blush you used?  I did try looking up the Nars "O"...and multples was not a part of the name..also in the description it made me think the color is a bit sparkly....or did I misunderstand?  I am 65 and do not need sparkle on my face.

The eyeliner...top waterline....this may be a silly question but does top mean top of my eye lid or the top of the INSIDE of my eyelid?  I really need to bump up the look to my eyes...while I am very healthy my eyes generally seem to look tired, which I am not...the waterline technique sounds interesting to me.

I live in a rural area and the malls near me carry the traditional make up brands...Clinique, Lancome, Estee Lauder, etc.  I have never found the make up associates to be very helpful....

thank you!

@Mom2Dogs   The NARS stick blushes were called "multiples" because some colors can be used on cheeks, eyes and lips. They may have dropped "multiples", but I use it to differentiate it from the NARS "O" powder blush. The color is a peachy pink and flattering on most skin tones. It's a cream blush (not a very greasy texture) & has a slight sheen, no sparkle that's too much for your age. I'm 72 and wear it and have used it on even older women. It gives the cheeks a lift without using a highlighter, which can be aging. 

Eyes: no questions are silly. Everyone wants to learn something, right? The waterline is the fleshy area under the upper eyelid under your lashes. If it tickles when you first practice begin applying it, you're in the right spot. 😜 Most importantly, it definitely requires a waterproof, not water resistant pencil. I prefer navy instead of black because it's more natural looking and makes the whites of eyes appear whiter. Did you know the white area sometimes yellow with age?

I would also try to eliminate the reddish look of a tired eye w/ eye drops before beginning your makeup and using a flesh colored pencil. I use one by Tarte called "Fake Awake" inside the bottom waterline...it takes away that pink/red line and neutralizes it. Curl your lashes before mascara to give your eyes a lift.

Check your concealer shade and if it's not covering darkness, you may want to first try a corrector under it. Don't double up on concealer which can crease. Corrector (the ones that are a peach shade not the green) is made to neutralize the darkness so a minimum amount of concealer is needed. 

The lines that are carried in your mall should have most of the products above. You may have to order the NARS and Tarte beige liner from Sephora or Nordstrom or Macy's. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.