Honored Contributor

FIRED MY FIRST EVER BRIDAL CLIENT

[ Edited ]

I had my third makeup session with a more than difficult “bride-zilla” over the weekend. Most request a somewhat amped up, natural look, but this woman demanded a dark smokey eye, bright lip, contouring, etc. She’s a naturally beautiful girl who wears little makeup in her every day life.

We talked about how she’d look back at photos of the wedding and may regret not recognizing herself. Still not convinced, I asked a photographer to come over and do a few test shots. Those didn’t change her mind either. She was digging in her heels and although her mother and sister were there and agreed with me 100% and tried to convince her this was not the time for Instagram makeup, “no go”. 

With my reputation and future referrals at stake, I told her I needed to recommend some other artists who may be more willing to meet her expections. This has never happened in over 25 years!!!!

What would you have done?

Respected Contributor

Re: FIRED MY FIRST EVER BRIDAL CLIENT

I think you handled the situation in a professional and positive manner. I certainly could do no better.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @IMW . It really shook me up. 

Honored Contributor

I also think you handled the position in the only way possible.  The way she looked could have also backlashed on you as well.  I wouldn't think of it another minute.

Murphy's Law "There's always one"!

Enjoy your day.  You deserve it after that one!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

With your reputation and integrity at stake, you did the right thing @Shanus  For this bride's sake, I hope any other makeup artist will give her the same advice.  Maybe if she hears it enough it'll eventually sink in.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus 

I agree, she was never going to be happy, so why torture yourself and risk your reputation?

Puzzling why a woman who didn't wear much makeup would suddenly want to be overdone. 

Maybe she thought she needed it to come through in the pics, but it seems you did everything under the sun to help.

Sounds like she just wanted her way, then was going to rant and rave when she looked silly.  

Bridezilla indeed -- used to love watching that show now and then.  After a while, they just had REALLY crazy, abusive women and I stopped watching.

Good riddance!

You can come do my makeup any time Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Shanus 

I agree, she was never going to be happy, so why torture yourself and risk your reputation?

Puzzling why a woman who didn't wear much makeup would suddendly want to be overdone. 

Maybe she thought she needed it to come through in the pics, but it seems you did everything under the sun to help.

Sounds like she just wanted her way, then was going to rant and rave when she looked silly.  

Bridezilla indeed -- used to love watching that show now and then.  After a while, they just had REALLY crazy, abusive women and I stopped watching.

Good riddance!

You can come do my makeup any time Cat Happy

Thanks for the support @Witchy Woman  and if I could, I’d love to do your makeup. 🌸

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I had my third makeup session with a more than difficult “bride-zilla” over the weekend. Most request a somewhat amped up, natural look, but this woman demanded a dark smokey eye, bright lip, contouring, etc. She’s a naturally beautiful girl who wears little makeup in her every day life.

We talked about how she’d look back at photos of the wedding and may regret not recognizing herself. Still not convinced, I asked a photographer to come over and do a few test shots. Those didn’t change her mind either. She was digging in her heels and although her mother and sister were there and agreed with me 100% and tried to convince her this was not the time for Instagram makeup, “no go”. 

With my reputation and future referrals at stake, I told her I needed to recommend some other artists who may be more willing to meet her expections. This has never happened in over 25 years!!!!

What would you have done?

How was she "difficult" other than wanting her makeup done the way she wanted? How does that make her difficult or a bridezilla? 

I understand your aesthetics are different, but, it's her choice. I don't blame you for referring her to someone else if you weren't comfortable doing the job, but, I don't think her wanting to look a certain way makes her unreasonable. 

Trusted Contributor

Why ruin your stellar reputation over someone who sees herself different and refuses to accept expert help. You absolutely did the right thing. 

Honored Contributor

It's too bad grooms don't seem to get involved in any of the planning.  I bet he would have agreed with you.