Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,886
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: FIRED MY FIRST EVER BRIDAL CLIENT

@Shanus 

 

If you weren't comfortable, you did the right thing.  But, I'm thinking that she wanted was feel glamorous on her special day.  And, she apparently liked what she saw in the test shots.  That's the vision she wants, and therefore, what she should have.  But it just wasn't a good fit between the two of you.  It's best that you both moved on.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,619
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

Re: FIRED MY FIRST EVER BRIDAL CLIENT


@suzyQ3 wrote:

@TheMemphisVette wrote:

 

refusing service is getting a bit dicey as seen with all the law suit happy stuff in recent news.

 

 


@TheMemphisVette, what do you mean by "lawsuit happy"? You can refuse to engage in business for any reason other than discrimination against a protected class.

 

Protected class nationwide includes race, color, religion, national origin or disability. Some states have added other protected classes.

 

Other than the above, there is no restriction on denying a customer your business.


 

@suzyQ3 Also, it’s important to note this is an “interview” process by the bride. There is no formal agreement until the bride decides she’s found who she wants to work with. At that point, a contract is drawn up to clarify date, time, venue, price, etc. There was no breach of contract (no legal obligation) on either side. I just knew, she’d be more pleased w/ someone else.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,619
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

Re: FIRED MY FIRST EVER BRIDAL CLIENT


@ItsME wrote:

@Shanus 

 

If you weren't comfortable, you did the right thing.  But, I'm thinking that she wanted was feel glamorous on her special day.  And, she apparently liked what she saw in the test shots.  That's the vision she wants, and therefore, what she should have.  But it just wasn't a good fit between the two of you.  It's best that you both moved on.


 

@ItsME   She also changed her mind with how she perceived the look each time she saw the finished makeup with or without the photos. The worst thing is a nervous, unhappy, raving bride on the big day!!!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,886
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: FIRED MY FIRST EVER BRIDAL CLIENT

@Shanus   .....  That adds a whole new dimension to the story.  You definitely did the right thing.  

 


@Shanus wrote:

@ItsMEShe also changed her mind with how she perceived the look each time she saw the finished makeup with or without the photos. The worst thing is a nervous, unhappy, raving bride on the big day!!!


 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,031
Registered: ‎04-05-2010

Re: FIRED MY FIRST EVER BRIDAL CLIENT

@Shanus I wish my niece had had someone to give her the same advice on her wedding day last year! She is a very pale blonde, does wear makeup, but never heavy. Whoever did her wedding makeup gave her a very smokey eye and it was just too much, IMO. While she did look beautiful, and the makeup was well-done, she did NOT look like herself at all!

 

But she was happy with it, so there you go! 

 

I think you handled things just right, for what it's worth.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 26,573
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: FIRED MY FIRST EVER BRIDAL CLIENT

If she hadn't hired you and you were only auditioning as you said, how did you fire this woman?  She wasn't your client to fire.  You really just took yourself out of the running, right? 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,168
Registered: ‎10-06-2010

Re: FIRED MY FIRST EVER BRIDAL CLIENT

@Shanus  I feel you were (are) 100% correct in letting this client go.  Let's face it - you just cannot go against the grain of what you are passionate about, which is obviously makeup application as you are an artist.

 

What I don't understand is, and maybe this is just me but, why pay for a service that apparently you feel you can do yourself if you're trying to correct or tell that person performing the service how to DO the service?  In other words, why are you paying a professional if you intend to undermind their talents, the very talent you are seeking? 

Obviously, this individual and any other like her, KNOWS the correct application and so should do it themselves, right? 

 

Everything aside, I believe you stayed true to yourself not compromising your integrity.  You handled it both professionally and courteously in my view.  I hope this client finds what she's looking for.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,908
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: FIRED MY FIRST EVER BRIDAL CLIENT


@fitfuninformed wrote:

@Shanus  I feel you were (are) 100% correct in letting this client go.  Let's face it - you just cannot go against the grain of what you are passionate about, which is obviously makeup application as you are an artist.

 

What I don't understand is, and maybe this is just me but, why pay for a service that apparently you feel you can do yourself if you're trying to correct or tell that person performing the service how to DO the service?  In other words, why are you paying a professional if you intend to undermind their talents, the very talent you are seeking? 

Obviously, this individual and any other like her, KNOWS the correct application and so should do it themselves, right? 

 

Everything aside, I believe you stayed true to yourself not compromising your integrity.  You handled it both professionally and courteously in my view.  I hope this client finds what she's looking for.


@fitfuninformed, that's how I feel about makeup applicaton regardless of event or not event. I know what I like.


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,319
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: FIRED MY FIRST EVER BRIDAL CLIENT

The customer is not always right.  That being said:  the one and only time I had my make-up done professionally, I looked horrible.  The artist did what she thought was correct.  I thought I looked like a drunken floozy.  Never again have I even asked an opinion from a make-up artist.  If she paid you and wanted things a certain way, then you either refund the money or do what she wants.  If this was an audition, you step away due to creative differences. JMO

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,400
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: FIRED MY FIRST EVER BRIDAL CLIENT

Sounds like it wasn't a "good" fit from the start....you would be doing something that you knew was going to look ghastly and she would have most likely hated it after getting the photos!  Sounds like a no win situation....you are better off with her not as your customer and she is better off finding someone else to do her make up.