Honored Contributor

Re: FIRED MY FIRST EVER BRIDAL CLIENT

@World Traveler  Brides ususally “audition” a few artists just like looking at various venues. Nothing is set in stone until she decides I’m the one. It was clear we were not a good fit.

Honored Contributor

@Maloyo wrote:

She may get the look she wants from another MUA or she may not. In 20 years she may regret it either way.  

If you are really uncomfortable doing a certain style then, by all means, don't do it.  However, I saw an interview with Lisa Robertson years ago and the interviewer asked her how she handled selling a product she didn't like.  Her answer was that someone likes it. 

Everybody doesn't have the same taste.  It doesn't mean it is bad just because you may not like it.

@Maloyo   I’ve done many makeup looks for brides, prom girls and others that strayed from my “usual” natural makeup aesthetic. I’m OK with that to a point. If someone tries to go too far out of their comfort zone for an event, I try to talk them down just a little and most of the time, they’re happier with the minor revisions. There’s hopefully only one wedding, one senior prom and I want it to be as memorable as possible. I’ve seen other artists’ work where the bride has never worn her hair up or heavy makeup. The groom barely recognized her coming down the aisle. Not good. 

Honored Contributor

If I were a newbie and desperate for the work, I would have done it and tried to make her choices look as good on her as possible. But if I were an established professional with plenty more clients where she came from, I would have done exactly as @Shanus did and declined as soon as I realized she was dead set on making a mistake. I think both ways are valid responses.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I worked with the public for over 40 years and found the most appealing challenge was a successful compromise.

It is mentioned the bride usually wear little makeup. Her requests are therefore coming from her perception of what "fancy" makeup should look like.

It would have been fun to do one half of her face in the extreme look she thought she wanted and the other in a slightly amped up everyday look.  Seeing is believing and she might have come to the realization all on her own that she was open to compromise.

It seems more likely that you just didnt like her and had no chemistry with her. In that case it is right to send her away.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I worked with the public for over 40 years and found the most appealing challenge was a successful compromise.

It is mentioned the bride usually wear little makeup. Her requests are therefore coming from her perception of what "fancy" makeup should look like.

It would have been fun to do one half of her face in the extreme look she thought she wanted and the other in a slightly amped up everyday look.  Seeing is believing and she might have come to the realization all on her own that she was open to compromise.

It seems more likely that you just didnt like her and had no chemistry with her. In that case it is right to send her away.

@Ms tyrion2   Uh, three meetings with various looks each time? I think I went out of my way to meet her more than half way. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2   Uh, three meetings with various looks each time? I think I went out of my way to meet her more than half way. 

Uh, my point was you didnt compare and contrast the looks.

You don't look at it as "out of your way" with difficult customers.  You get creative in trying for compromise. She only saw you exerting your will on her. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@World Traveler  Brides ususally “audition” a few artists just like looking at various venues. Nothing is set in stone until she decides I’m the one. It was clear we were not a good fit.

@Shanus Oh, got it; understand. Heart

Trusted Contributor

Your reputation is much more important than her demands.  She will find someone else and you can move on to someone who appreciates your honesty. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus , did you show this woman a portfolio of your work before your trial session? I would think looking through it, the bride to be would realize what she was asking was out of your comfort zone. Time saved for both of you...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I wore a light tint of sun, and a spray of the surf 🌊.

We eloped although we told our parents before we left.

Way too much drama for us!

Regrette Rein.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras