Valued Contributor

Re: FIRED MY FIRST EVER BRIDAL CLIENT

@Shanus  one day when U R bored,  share some make-up tips for those of us that have sagging skin, and wrinkles that love a dewey look and natual highlights on the cheeks.  That would be another thread on a day U R bored but would hold all our interests.  

I personally modeled most of my young life and as U know, I wore Heavy make-up for shoots and it is still my habit to wear too much.  

HAPPY SUNDAY!

Honored Contributor

IDK. I'm wondering just how much a bride's makeup style would impact the person who did her makeup. I can't imagine it's that huge of topic among most people.

When our daughter married, she herself was not happy with the makeup results, but there were no comments from anyone and certainly no name of who did her makeup was ever mentioned.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@depglass wrote:

It's too bad grooms don't seem to get involved in any of the planning.  I bet he would have agreed with you.

And you know this, how? 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I have to assume that I would be working for an income so, I think, I'd respect the wishes of the customer who was paying for a job and do the best job I could do to give her the look she wanted for her wedding.  I would never want it to get around that I am hard to work with and unpredictable and and have habit walking out on customers.  I'd rather risk people not liking my work that thinking that of me and my business.  

@chrystaltree   In about 25 years, this is a first. My work is my reputation. I would never send a bride down the aisle looking like a hot mess. It’s not money that’s the issue. 

Then you did what was right for you.  But you did ask what  WE would do....so that's what you got.  

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised she STILL wanted that mess on her face after seeing a picture of what she'd look like.

A quick for instance.....  I love myself...chub and all.  However, I also get a dose of reality when.....I see my fat butt from behind walking up the stairs as my Blink camera catches it/me.

There's no denying it's me waddling back in forth in and out of my garage when I click on the Blink cameras right before I delete the pictures.

It's interesting how we all perceive ourselves.  I wonder why it is it's always easy to tell other's what's best for them.

All through my girl's lives I've always said, "Don't ask me how something looks unless you want to hear the truth of what I think.  I don't have an agenda.  I might not be right.  But it comes from love and it's my truth".

You are a professional.  My first thought was you should do it, she's paying for it.  Then I read your post again and some of the others.

I've always said most of the people here are kind and give excellent advice.

In this case, you did the right thing and everyone did give you the kudos you deserve.  Good job.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus To be very honest with you: I would have walked out before you fired me.  If I am paying for a service, I expect to get what I want. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My parents taught me that you are only as good as your word. Sometimes we have to do  things we don't want to, only because we said we would. Commitment was everything to them. 

Hard to know what one would do in a similar situation as you had, but I would like to think that if I said I would do the work for the bride, then she could depend upon me to do it. I wouldn't want someone to have to quickly find a replacement for me just because I disagreed with their opinion.

If you have had a great business reputation up until this client, then I doubt just one bride's decision (and her appearance) to do other than what your expertise and guidance suggested would ruin you. 

Obviously, it was your decision; and if you are comfortable with it, then that is all that really matters. Heart

For the future, do you think some type of disclaimer or caveat could be written into the agreement, in case this sort of thing happens again? You know, something like: "I don't do Gothic makeup!" ha!

Seriously, though, perhaps something that indicates you reserve the right to rescind your agreement if the bride changes drastically from what you initially agreed to do. Just trying to give you some "out" to prevent this happening again. Also, if you reserved the time, taking away from another client, then you get a percentage of what you would have received. Just thinking outloud. 

Honored Contributor

@INDIANA BONES wrote:

@Shanus  one day when U R bored,  share some make-up tips for those of us that have sagging skin, and wrinkles that love a dewey look and natual highlights on the cheeks.  That would be another thread on a day U R bored but would hold all our interests.  

I personally modeled most of my young life and as U know, I wore Heavy make-up for shoots and it is still my habit to wear too much.  

HAPPY SUNDAY!

@INDIANA BONES   Not too bored, but will share some tips with you. Sagging skin and wrinkles are usually something that naturally comes as we age. Sagging can only be repaired by surgery and wrinkling can be somewhat helped by fillers, Botox, or lasers. 

Makeup: Nothing ages us more than doing too much. I’ve never worn a true foundation. I’d rather use a concealer (one lighter for under my eyes & a second one in a skin tone correct shade for any red areas) and then a tinted moisturizer. If you need more coverage, foundations can be thinned out w/ a moisturizer or primer before application. There’s a big difference between dewey and shiny (needing setting powder). I tend to leave the “shine” from moisturizers and/or lightweight foundations on the cheek area as is, but lightly, with a large fluffy brush, using a finely milled setting powder just go over the t zone. I like to finish w/ a diy mixture of water and rose water to take away any powdered look before going on to eyes.

Eyes: They need definition as we age, but in a more natural way. If lids are hooded, stay with a tight line instead of lining the upper lid...valuable space for shadow. My choice is to go matte for every day and maybe add a hint of sheen in center of lid. Trying to create a crease with a darker shade of shadow can look fake...blending is key. Use a lash curler to open up the eye and then mascara, but avoid mascara/liner on the bottom if any darkness under the eye. It’ll just draw attention to it. 

Lips and cheeks: I’ve forced myself to toss my beige/pink/nude lipsticks for a little brighter pink...especially since my hair is now grey. I prefer lips and cheeks to be in the same color family and it’s easier to use my lipstick as my cream blush. Even when I use my Bare Minerals, I use my lipstick for blush. 

Brows: Always define. I’m sure you’ve heard that. Just be sure the color is natural and a shade lighter than you think you need, if in doubt. If brows are thin or hairs are grey or light, they can be dyed by your hair stylist or if brave, the men’s product to color mustaches using a clean mascara spoolie. 

***Contouring: That’s a “no” to me. Many women go to docs to have fillers for the volume lost in that cheek area. If you’re lucky enough to still have fullness below the cheekbone, don’t darken it and give yourself an aged, sunken in look. 

More than happy to answer any other questions. 😘

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

She may get the look she wants from another MUA or she may not. In 20 years she may regret it either way.  

If you are really uncomfortable doing a certain style then, by all means, don't do it.  However, I saw an interview with Lisa Robertson years ago and the interviewer asked her how she handled selling a product she didn't like.  Her answer was that someone likes it. 

Everybody doesn't have the same taste.  It doesn't mean it is bad just because you may not like it.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I had my third makeup session with a more than difficult “bride-zilla” over the weekend. Most request a somewhat amped up, natural look, but this woman demanded a dark smokey eye, bright lip, contouring, etc. She’s a naturally beautiful girl who wears little makeup in her every day life.

We talked about how she’d look back at photos of the wedding and may regret not recognizing herself. Still not convinced, I asked a photographer to come over and do a few test shots. Those didn’t change her mind either. She was digging in her heels and although her mother and sister were there and agreed with me 100% and tried to convince her this was not the time for Instagram makeup, “no go”. 

With my reputation and future referrals at stake, I told her I needed to recommend some other artists who may be more willing to meet her expections. This has never happened in over 25 years!!!!

What would you have done?

I would have given the bride what she wanted but I would have requested that she not credit me with the work on any public site. 

@Mindy D   Request? How do I hold her to that? As far as public site, there are wedding guests and family already present to judge the look & ask, “Who the heck did her makeup?”