Honored Contributor

Re: FEEL LIKE GIVING UP ON MY NAILS...

I always say we all have our crosses to bear, I have really pretty hands and nails all my life, but my hair is horrible, thin and hard to handle. 

Respected Contributor

@jeepgirl wrote:

Try OPI Nail Envy original nail strengthener !  I get excellent results and wears like iron. Good luck! 

@jeepgirl ...I have it, and also the plumping top coat.  Haven't seen any improvement,  but when I give myself a manicure, it looks nice.  Temporary. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will repeat, my best advice is to give the Verisol collagen a try along with something applied topically to the nails, you have plenty of suggestions here for that. 

Honored Contributor

It’s tough to keep nails nice if you garden, but wearing gloves helps. Try to avoid opening packages with nails but use a razor blade or scissors 

I use just a clear base coat on mine.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

My nails are weak, split and peel like crazy, and my cuticles are so thick and ragged that they snag and bleed sometimes. After years of trying everything, from Nailtiques to OPI Nail Envy, I have arrived at a solution.  And it's so inexpensive!  I have to stick with it and not stray, or my nails immediately revert back to their bad self.

1) Poshe AHA Cuticle Care-a cream to apply once or twice daily.

2) Nail-Aid 8-IN-1 Nude Manicure (also comes in clear, but haven't tried it as I prefer a little color)

The Poshe is impossible to find in stores anymore, but you can get it on Amazon or Ebay and I get three boxes at at time for around $12.  And I find the Nail-Aid at Walmart for $3.88!!  You really don't have much to lose by trying it.  And it's such a simple solution that even a lazy person like me can stick with it, LOL.

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

My nails are weak, split and peel like crazy, and my cuticles are so thick and ragged that they snag and bleed sometimes. After years of trying everything, from Nailtiques to OPI Nail Envy, I have arrived at a solution.  And it's so inexpensive!  I have to stick with it and not stray, or my nails immediately revert back to their bad self.

1) Poshe AHA Cuticle Care-a cream to apply once or twice daily.

2) Nail-Aid 8-IN-1 Nude Manicure (also comes in clear, but haven't tried it as I prefer a little color)

The Poshe is impossible to find in stores anymore, but you can get it on Amazon or Ebay and I get three boxes at at time for around $12.  And I find the Nail-Aid at Walmart for $3.88!!  You really don't have much to lose by trying it.  And it's such a simple solution that even a lazy person like me can stick with it, LOL.

Just to add Poshe Top Coat is the best top coat, ever, I never stray from using it!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:

Soooo, I'm asking if there are any suggestions for perhaps keeping them natural but looking nice, lower maintenance???  

1. Keep them short...really short

2. Buff for a natural shine

Just 2 simple, natural steps & you’ll be a million times prettier

than those clunky artificial nails.

Occasional Contributor

Due to my job, I cannot wear polish so my nails are bare.  They were continually splitting and snagging on everything.  I tried a product called Bliss Kiss....not sure why the name since it is sold as an oil for your nails.  I used just one drop morning and night and after washing my hands.  One day I looked and I actually had long nails!  I had given up on using the product multiple times a day and only use it morning and night.  Would never have believed this would work!  Not expensive, give it a try.  Hope it helps!

Trusted Contributor

Clean them; cut them; leave them alone. (If you want, you can put a little oil on them.)

Your nails sound over-processed.

They will probably take at least six months to recover.

My nails will not even tolerate polish.  They look healthy if I leave them alone.

Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

If a person's nails aren't healthy to begin with, it's difficult to keep them looking nice even with polish. I used to do my nails weekly, but I finally stopped because they were thin and would peel in layers. I seldom use polish anymore, but I do take Calcium for my bones and I know that has also helped my nails. I eat a lot of jello - also good for nails. Other than that, I'd give your nails a break for a couple of months....keep them somewhat short and moisturize them with a brush-on nail oil that's meant to strengthen them. Keep your hands moisturized as well!