Regular Contributor

Re: FEEL LIKE GIVING UP ON MY NAILS...

@ tzatke I use a nail white pencil too! Where do you get yours? I get the Flowery one from Sally's, but I wish they hadn't changed it last year.
Smile, it makes everyone wonder what you're up to!
Joined QVC boards long before the last two conversions!
New Contributor

DITTO!!!

I have soft thin nails that don't hold up on their own.  I have tried everything over my 64 years.  So out of despiration, I discovered poly gel, watched  u tube videos on how to do them, bought a kit and do my own tips with poly gel.  I do not put the gel on the whole nail but gradually build it up where needed to strenghten the apex and tips, then put the dualform on to shape the gel before putting it under the LED to cure.  I am able to garden and use my nails without breakage.  They last until they grow out.   I do prefer to put a nice polish over top.

Respected Contributor

I have terrible nails too.  What has been working for me is:  biotin, lots of moisturizer and Essie TreatLove&Color.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

I have terrible nails too.  What has been working for me is:  biotin, lots of moisturizer and Essie TreatLove&Color.  Good luck!

I tried the Essie, TLC and was really impressed with how long it stayed on so nicely. I used Power Punch Pink. 

Respected Contributor

1. Just happy to report back...I'm on my 4th day using the 8 in 1!   Wow, I'm very happy so far!  Not one chip or peeling,  still great!   I even gave my dog a bath, and treated her with topicals for her growths.  Still wearing gloves, and using Vanicream...everything the same.  But so far, this 8 in 1 has my nails looking very pretty...I seriously cannot believe it's still intact  without a chip or peeling.    AGAIN,  I THANK EVERYONE HERE FOR THE GREAT SUGGESTIONS!!
Respected Contributor

Sorry my post got messed up....I was saying...I'm so happy to report back about the 8 in 1 nail treatment.   I'm on my 4th day, with not 1 chip, or peeling.   Still doing everything the same...I even gave my dog a bath!!    I do wear gloves when immersed in water or using chemicals...but nothing seemed to matter before.  So far, I'm amazed...my nails look pretty with nothing more than this 8 in 1.   Thank you all again for the knowledgeable replies!!

Honored Contributor

TIPS is the only thing that works for me.  And I'm allergic to nail polish, none has ever worked.  Treatments just won't go through no matter what they tell you.

Esteemed Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@Dazlin 

People notice nails that are done. That being said people really do not look or notice other people's hands.  Keep your nails short, buffed , filed and clean. Leave off all the chemicals and let them breathe.

I have problem with peeling fingernails, and I do as @hopi recommends.  I also moisturize after almost every hand wash.  The nails look decent, though not fabulous, but I spend a lot less energy worrying about my fingernails.  My hands are sof!  I have no problem with my toenails, I get pedicures every couple of weeks or so.  Obviously, my fingers work much harder than my toes, which have mostly just one job.  And there is a lot of handwashing and moisturizing, which I won't give up!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:
@Sooner , I also do not like long nails, so I always keep mine just to finger tip length and square.  They grow very fast, but they're just ridgie, flat, and wavy.  They split vertical too along the ridges, so then I have to cut them way back to stop the splitting.  I've always had working hands, lol, like my dad🙄.  I had some tell me they dont match my body, I'm small, petite, with these ugly, veiny, and large knuckle hands...oh well.  I am self conscious of them...I think ugly hands looks aging on me.  I try constantly to keep them moisturized, and stay well hydrated.   They've been looking like this all my life☹.

I'm going to look into some suggestions here, but I have tried strengthening  base coats, and, again I get the peeling and chipping within days...but I need to do something or they wont look dazzling LOL.

@Dazlin i have not read to the end of the post, but read here you have heavy ridges.  In looking for nail solution, I read this is caused by nutritional deficiencies.  A friend of mine in her 60s with wavy ridges in her nails was diagnosed with celiac disease (which causes malnutrition).  Just a thought.

Esteemed Contributor

@ConnieJ wrote:

DITTO!!!

I have soft thin nails that don't hold up on their own.  I have tried everything over my 64 years.  So out of despiration, I discovered poly gel, watched  u tube videos on how to do them, bought a kit and do my own tips with poly gel.  I do not put the gel on the whole nail but gradually build it up where needed to strenghten the apex and tips, then put the dualform on to shape the gel before putting it under the LED to cure.  I am able to garden and use my nails without breakage.  They last until they grow out.   I do prefer to put a nice polish over top.

I thought this was great too until I realized that gel removal destroys the nail bed.  I ws afraid to continue after 3 or 4 times.  Nails still wouldn't grow because they would break, though they would not split while I was on the gel.  I had this done in a salon.  The nails do look pretty..