Respected Contributor

Re: FEEL LIKE GIVING UP ON MY NAILS...

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!  Looking into many great suggestions here, and will heading out to shop this week.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle----My hair is as lousy as my stupid nails ---am sure it is mostly from the meds I take after having chemo; have 3 more years of them to take so maybe my hair will not be so dumb afterwards. 

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@DearPrudence wrote:

My nails are weak, split and peel like crazy, and my cuticles are so thick and ragged that they snag and bleed sometimes. After years of trying everything, from Nailtiques to OPI Nail Envy, I have arrived at a solution.  And it's so inexpensive!  I have to stick with it and not stray, or my nails immediately revert back to their bad self.

1) Poshe AHA Cuticle Care-a cream to apply once or twice daily.

2) Nail-Aid 8-IN-1 Nude Manicure (also comes in clear, but haven't tried it as I prefer a little color)

The Poshe is impossible to find in stores anymore, but you can get it on Amazon or Ebay and I get three boxes at at time for around $12.  And I find the Nail-Aid at Walmart for $3.88!!  You really don't have much to lose by trying it.  And it's such a simple solution that even a lazy person like me can stick with it, LOL.

Just to add Poshe Top Coat is the best top coat, ever, I never stray from using it!!

@DearPrudence ..I picked up the 8 in 1 today at Walmart. 

Just to let everyone know, I've kept my nails without anything on them,  just bare, and natural.   Been applying nail oil, and or hydrating creams, and wear gloves.  If I dont coat them with some sort of strengthening products,  then the vertical ridges travel up the nail bed and continue to split...no matter how short I trim them.   So they need a coating of something,  but as I said, I'm trying to keep the maintenance down.   I'll give this new one, 8 in 1 a try.  We'll see...Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Shelbelle----My hair is as lousy as my stupid nails ---am sure it is mostly from the meds I take after having chemo; have 3 more years of them to take so maybe my hair will not be so dumb afterwards. 

Just be glad you are healthy now, that is always what has to come first. Along with the meds, do you think you could also take collagen and or phytoceramides?

Respected Contributor

I have natural nails and love doing my own. Yes, they are work but so worth it.

Valued Contributor

@Dazlin Good luck with the 8 in 1.  When I feel like putting polish on, I use it as my base coat.

Trusted Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I swear by Nailtiques.  All my life I have wanted long pretty nails, and never had them until now (age 59).   Some of mine get so long I have to clip them, which is unheard of for me.   (I did a stint of acylics, too, and they were nice, but I got tired of it.)

I have never heard of Nailtiques. I just went on amazon to read about this product.  Which one do you USE???  I might just order it and try it myself.

I don't get tips anymore, I apply that money to other things.  I just keep them short with clear polish and I am "LEARNING" to like them they way I used to LOVE my tips.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I swear by Nailtiques.  All my life I have wanted long pretty nails, and never had them until now (age 59).   Some of mine get so long I have to clip them, which is unheard of for me.   (I did a stint of acylics, too, and they were nice, but I got tired of it.)

I have never heard of Nailtiques. I just went on amazon to read about this product.  Which one do you USE???  I might just order it and try it myself.

I don't get tips anymore, I apply that money to other things.  I just keep them short with clear polish and I am "LEARNING" to like them they way I used to LOVE my tips.

I read your post & said to myself.....’#2’.

I had artificial tips/nails waaay back in the 90s

(w/ bright red nail polish, no less...lord WHO was I????😆),

but my nails were a mess when I stopped.  

And I used #2 Nailtiques for a long while until the sensitivity

was eliminated from the thin nail.  Today it’s just short/buffed...

with an occasional fun polish when the mood strikes! 

Super Contributor

My nails used to be thin and peel back layer by layer until they were nubs.

My nail tech turned me on to Nailtiques Formula 2 Plus, and CND Solar Oil for the cuticles. I keep the oil in the kitchen cabinet, and just give myself a quick swip each morning while I'm sipping my coffee.

Best thing ever for my nails.

Respected Contributor

I've used Nailtiques...I think it's pretty good, but it has to applied continuously. Nothing seems to give me a long term cure. Upon a suggestion here, I just tried 8 in 1 for nails. No need for daily application. So, today, I gave myself a nice manicure, treated my hands, and filled my nails short. I only use a crystal nail file(wonderful). I applied 2 coats of this 8 in 1...and I'm very pleased with the natural glossy, shiny, pink sheer coat. It made the ugly ridges less visible. Overall, it looks like a soft French manicure. Happy about that. I doubt my splitting ridges will be cured, but this looks very acceptable for me, without polish. Now, I'll be happy if it lasts even 5 days.