Trusted Contributor

Re: FEEL LIKE GIVING UP ON MY NAILS...

@Dazlin : Boy do I know the feeling. Make sure your thyroid is ok. That caused a lot of my problem but still dry, cracking, brittle nails. Tried some of the  products mentioned here but Nailtiques works best for me. However my nails still had issues.

i had been reading posts about collagen on this site and when in Natural Grocers I saw some and thought, what the heck. Bought a 90 day supply bottle and began taking them. Kept thinking it was my imagination that my nails seemed better about the end of the 90 days but turns out they are better. I'm on the second 90 day bottle.

i still use Nailtiques. Can't get over how much better nails are. They look great. Even with lousy nails they grew fast and I was constantly trimming them. I can now let them grow out a bit. I don’t want long nails so won’t let them grow too long before trimming back.

I'm still so surprised

Respected Contributor

I’m in the same boat. I always had strong lovely natural 

nails. Now at 67 they peel and crack no matter what I do. 

Tried nailtiques, pro strong formula, TIPS, etc. I take Andrew Lessman’s Hair, Skin, Nail formula it does 

nothing. I do have multiple medical conditions——

hypothyroidism ( normal now with meds) for 40 years,

low ferritin (anemia) etc, etc. 

My hair is gone also, was told it would return when thyroid was regulated, it came back during pregnancies.

Gone again after. Now top is gone and I wear some fabulous wigs.

Best of luck with your nails. I do think clean well shaped nails look lovely. BTW buffing thins nails. Clear

polish looks great, but it doesn’t work for me with the 

peeling.

Respected Contributor

Any kind of polish or anything that coats the nails like Nailtiques destroys my nails.

I keep them short and buff with a buffing cream and buffer. This keeps them healthy. I also use a white pencil under the tips. I do not thin with a buffing tool. My nails are finally healthy and I don't have to fix chips.

Respected Contributor

You might want to have your Vitamin D checked; mine was rock bottom. I take a prescription and have increased the amount of dairy I eat. I see an endocrinologist who specializes in Vit.D.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin  Definitely use a ridge filler.  Essie has a very good one.  Maybe try oil your cuticles and nails on a daily basis.  My nails are not that strong but not fragile.  I cannot stand any food getting under nails -- it is gross to me.  So I keep them quite short.  I think if you oil them before bedtime every night you may see some good results.  Good luck.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Nailtiques. This is the only product that has helped my  once thin brittle nails  to beautiful long nails that I have to cut all the time as they grow so long so fast. Just follow the directions. I had given up to then I heard on youtube about this product.

Honored Contributor

I don't have fingernails that will grow long, but then I have never really liked the look of long polished nails.  I prefer shorter more natural look--maybe a bit of pale polish for occasion.

I just always like hands that look like working hands--hands that do interesting things I guess!  Martha Stewarts hands always looked like working hands to me. 

Honored Contributor

Sorry to say I don't have a miracle cure either!  I had super great nails all my life.  Even as a kid, my nails were envied by grownups.  I have small hands with long, slim fingers and with long nails, they always looked so nice and I was so proud of how they looked.  No more!  As I got older, I would say in my 50's, my nails began to go bad and I tried eveything.  They have ridges, peel, split, are weak and delicate.  They still want to grow but just when they get to a nice length, they begin to crack, break, peell and tear!  

I don't know what the answer is. I used to polish my nails faithfully and loved switching colors -- from demure to wild and crazy!  I now find that my nails stay the best if I use no polish at all.  I will occasionally use polish for a special event or when I want to dress up more.  

The only suggestions I can offer -- and I know these are basic things which probably everyone sknows --- just keep your hands and nails well moisturized and any time you are doing household tasks which involve water, cleaning supplies, or other heavy-duty jobs, wear gloves!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Hmmm...   @Dazlin,  I do my nails every 4-5 days too.  I thought that was normal.  

As I got older, my nails started splitting and peeling.  Nothing helped - and I tried about every treatment out there!   So I keep my nails shaped and filed short and I use Sally Hansen hardening-type polishes.   Keeping my hands "pretty" has been very important to me since I was a teenager.  I'm kind of a fanatic about it.

Whatever products I apply to my face and neck, I also apply onto my hands.  I've applied retinol cream, vitamin c serum, and facial moisturizers to my hands (and elbows!) for years.  Probably hasn't helped my nails, but the back of my hands are crepe-free and youthful.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I don't have fingernails that will grow long, but then I have never really liked the look of long polished nails.  I prefer shorter more natural look--maybe a bit of pale polish for occasion.

I just always like hands that look like working hands--hands that do interesting things I guess!  Martha Stewarts hands always looked like working hands to me. 

@Sooner , I also do not like long nails, so I always keep mine just to finger tip length and square.  They grow very fast, but they're just ridgie, flat, and wavy.  They split vertical too along the ridges, so then I have to cut them way back to stop the splitting.  I've always had working hands, lol, like my dad🙄.  I had some tell me they dont match my body, I'm small, petite, with these ugly, veiny, and large knuckle hands...oh well.  I am self conscious of them...I think ugly hands looks aging on me.  I try constantly to keep them moisturized, and stay well hydrated.   They've been looking like this all my life☹.

I'm going to look into some suggestions here, but I have tried strengthening  base coats, and, again I get the peeling and chipping within days...but I need to do something or they wont look dazzling LOL.