Respected Contributor

FEEL LIKE GIVING UP ON MY NAILS...

Seriously I have the most lousy fingernails on the planet!

I tried acrylics,  and gave up on that.  Just too much up keep, too often,  and actually no real care or manicure.   Besides the expense.   I was a manicurist years back, so I know what my nails need to stay pretty,  but, honestly  it's just too much.  Nothing holds up.  I'm needing to do my nails every 4-5 days.  I have thin, fragile, ridged,  wavy and so on, nails...so not much sticks or stays nice.  I do think a proper manicure and hand care makes my ugly hands look better, but its becoming a time consuming chore.  Soooo, I'm asking if there are any suggestions for perhaps keeping them natural but looking nice, lower maintenance???  But makes hands look nice...yes I moisturize,  and the whole shebang!   Please send some helpful tips.  Please, no supplements, I take enough, and just looking for pretty nail care.  I've used many many strengthening polishes too...NOTHING WORKS FOR ME!!

Respected Contributor

Re: FEEL LIKE GIVING UP ON MY NAILS...

I would make an appointment with a dermatologist or a regular doc and see what they say.  Dazlin how Dazzling would you be with less than beautiful hands?

Honored Contributor

Sally Hansen Miracle Growth Treatment, gold top, gold bottle or Duri Rejuvacote #2 for more sensitive nails. 

Respected Contributor

Im having the same problem. I just took off my gels and its not pretty!!  This week ive been using Rejuvacote, I cant say if its working or not because its only been a week.  Im also using Jojoba oil on the cuticles for moisture.  Im hoping someone else has suggestions to try, Im not sure if this is the right course yet!!!  We'll see!

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin 

People notice nails that are done. That being said people really do not look or notice other people's hands.  Keep your nails short, buffed , filed and clean. Leave off all the chemicals and let them breathe.

Respected Contributor

I feel your pain, I struggled with paper thin nails that would break and shred over almost nothing.  I have had better nails in the last few years but I do attribute it to some of the dietary supplements, which I know you said you are not interested in. For whatever reason my nails will not hold a manicure for more than about a day. It always chips and peels no matter if I have it done professionally or not, or what type of poilsh I use. So I keep them short and filed nicely and I use Julep Be Strong Oxygen nail therapy (clear). It is the only thing that stays on with minimal chipping for about a week, it's extremely high shine and I do believe it has improved my nails a lot. I have tried a lot of nail therapies and nothing was that great (except Nailtiques).  This one I'm in love with and it gives you a very nice shiny clean look.  Good luck on your nail journey.

Respected Contributor

I swear by Nailtiques.  All my life I have wanted long pretty nails, and never had them until now (age 59).   Some of mine get so long I have to clip them, which is unheard of for me.   (I did a stint of acylics, too, and they were nice, but I got tired of it.)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Valued Contributor

@Dazlin  - I have nothng to suggest that can help you, but I feel your pain.  Every now and then I start polishing my nails regularly, and for about 2 weeks they look great.  Then they start to disintegrate and it takes a couple of months before they look healthy again.  I've tried everything under the sun, includng a polish I think was called "Breathable" - thought I had found the solution - nope!   I so envy women with beautiful polished nails.  

Respected Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I feel your pain, I struggled with paper thin nails that would break and shred over almost nothing.  I have had better nails in the last few years but I do attribute it to some of the dietary supplements, which I know you said you are not interested in. For whatever reason my nails will not hold a manicure for more than about a day. It always chips and peels no matter if I have it done professionally or not, or what type of poilsh I use. So I keep them short and filed nicely and I use Julep Be Strong Oxygen nail therapy (clear). It is the only thing that stays on with minimal chipping for about a week, it's extremely high shine and I do believe it has improved my nails a lot. I have tried a lot of nail therapies and nothing was that great (except Nailtiques).  This one I'm in love with and it gives you a very nice shiny clean look.  Good luck on your nail journey.

@Grouchomarx ...I like this suggestion...sounds like we're on the same track., yep, used Naitiques too...I'm going to look into this...thank you!!

Respected Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@Dazlin 

People notice nails that are done. That being said people really do not look or notice other people's hands.  Keep your nails short, buffed , filed and clean. Leave off all the chemicals and let them breathe.

👍👍...trying to do this🙂