Honored Contributor

Re: FACIA BLASTER gimmick or results?

[ Edited ]

If you look at anatomy pictures of the skin then you will see what the fascia actually is. I can't see how manipulating it could tighten firm or lift the skin in any way. The fascia is simply a layer of collagen that separates the outer layer of skin from the fat and muscle below. It's a structural barrier and provides integrity for the skin's components. When the collagen fibers around the fascia become weak or malformed from age or sun then the fascia becomes uneven and when it happens the fat layer starts loosing its integrity, showing up as cellulite. Massaging the skin aggressively can sometimes break up the uneven fat layer to try and make it smooth again. But it takes a special kind of manipulation and it is painful and it leaves bruises.

Think of a single layer of gauze...that's the fascia. Then lay that piece of gauze firmly over a mound of cottage cheese. It keeps it smooth, right?  Now poke some holes in the gauze and lay it firmly down on top of that cottage again and then you see the lumps of cottage cheese poking through the holes. That's a damaged fascia...the holey gauze...cellulite appears.

Why anyone would want to 'blast' their fascia is beyond me. You need that part of your skin to be intact...not blasted.

Respected Contributor

I thought cellulite was genetic also??  My Mom had it on her thighs and so do I...even though I am not over weight nor have I ever been.  Heck I had it as a teenager...105lbs!  I have had children and it did increase abit on my bum from them but thighs are the same.  My sister inlaw as zero cellulite and had 4 children...some large babies too at 10+ pounds!  I think she is genetically blessed LOLWoman LOL

I did have a procedure done 1 time at a plastic surgeons office...I can't remember the name of this thing that the tech used on my thighs...but it suctioned up the skin as it ran over the skin.  OMGoodness it was so PAINFUL for me....it bruised me alot and I simply couldn't take the pain.  Good thing I only paid for 1 treatment....never again.

It's me and my cellulite....we are together forever unless they come up with a pain free device or pill that doesn't cost a small fortune.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Beautiful life I think if you search youtube, you might find a bunch of videos on how to do it. The method I use is the Carole Maggio one but you have to get the dvd from her website. I can't find it elsewhere online. I think you have to ask yourself if you can make a commitment to massage at least 6x per week. If you want to go a simple and inexpensive route, drybrushing may be for you. There are tons of info. online and on you tube on how to do it. I use 2 brushes at a time for legs to hurry things up. Make sure you get a natural brush and not plastic if you decide to do it.

@SilleeMee I credit the creator, Ashely Black, to get me into researching what is fascia. That led me to doing yin yoga, which I love. The name is clever, but I agree, you can only do so much with a massage tool.

@tsavorite  I'm pretty sure mine is genetic as well. However, one of my siblings remarks how she has a lot more cellutlie than I do plus she has varicose veins. She is on her feet all day at work while lazy me puts up my feet at every chance I get. Lol.

Regular Contributor

I have been blasting (my body not my face) for about two years.  The first weeks were intense and yes I got bruises, but those were gone after a month.  I went on a business trip for three weeks and I couldn't bring the fasciablaster with me and now I definitely see that I need to do it.  It is one of those things that takes time, you have to know how to do (know your pain threshold and how hard to press if you want to avoid bruising or broken capillaries), be patient when you don't see immediate results and you need to keep doing for maintenance.  Not for everyone either, there are lovers and haters of this product.  I love mine, but I wish there was a way to get the same results with less time and effort.

Super Contributor

Carole Maggio that’s face exercising? I can make a commitment if it works. I have done so many fads or gimmicks over the years. What improvements have you had?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My derm does a treatment for cellulite with a laser called Cellulaze. Cost varies depending on the size of the area to be treated and also the number of dimples to treat. It's not cheap but I wish I could afford to do just my thighs and maybe my butt. But no one but me sees those parts so let it be.

ETA- The only reason why I know about Cellulaze is because they had a video of it playing in the waiting area while I was there at my derm's clinic. They show all kinds of videos of stuff that makes you look good....for a lot of money. 

Honored Contributor

I once tried cupping. Similar principle. I bought a set of rubber cup thingys from Amazon. Ended up giving myself giant hickeys all over my thighs.

I looked into the fascia blaster around the same time. The website and facebook people scared me. They seemed to have an unusual relationship with pain and their bodies.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My derm does a treatment for cellulite with a laser called Cellulaze. Cost varies depending on the size of the area to be treated and also the number of dimples to treat. It's not cheap but I wish I could afford to do just my thighs and maybe my butt. But no one but me sees those parts so let it be.

This is what I was talking about when I said they could zap the adhesions. At least everyone can feel better knowing that "the beautiful people" of a certain age and above would all likely have cellulite just like the rest of humanity--if they didn't get treatments like these.

I recently purchased my own little cavitation and RF machine from Japan. It's called the CaviStyle. I've only used it a few times. I don't see any difference yet. I'm also fascinated by the Isavera Cool Sculpting system. (I keep this particular interest a big secret from pretty much everyone I know. They would say I'm nuts! lol) 

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, all the rich beautiful people...natural beauties.Woman Wink....rrrright. Everybody has cellulite. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend to get it reduced.

@Porcelain 

That RF thing you have looks interesting...I looked it up. What exactly is it suppose to do? Maybe I can use one to get rid of my love handles.Woman LOL

I also looked up that Isavera thing, too. I don't know about that one...looks kinda gimmicky.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes, all the rich beautiful people...natural beauties.Woman Wink....rrrright. Everybody has cellulite. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend to get it reduced.

@Porcelain 

That RF thing you have looks interesting...I looked it up. What exactly is it suppose to do? Maybe I can use one to get rid of my love handles.Woman LOL

I also looked up that Isavera thing, too. I don't know about that one...looks kinda gimmicky.

@SilleeMee It has Radio Frequency, which causes heat damage at a precise depth of the skin, leaving the epidermis unharmed. The damage tells the dermis to produce new  collagen. RF also seems to destroy some subcutaneous fat cells at the same time. Loss of facial fat exclusively at the site of treatment is a common complaint from people who have had professional RF on their faces. So it seems to me that might help cellulite.

And it has another setting for Ultrasonic Cavitation, which is done at medispas just like RF. It vibrates at a specific frequency that somehow breaks down fat cells into fatty acids that you can flush out by exercising and drinking a lot of water. Or something like that.

And it has "antiaging" LED red lights, but I mainly appreciate them because then I know it's running. I've only used the cavitation. Once on my thighs and once on my tummy. The little stubborn pad of fat on my tummy may have reduced some, or possibly not. I like that the treatment doesn't hurt and it only takes 15 minutes. I am not seriously overweight or obese. And I exercise and eat moderately.

https://www.realself.com/ultrasonic-cavitation

https://www.realself.com/thermage

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/cosmetic-treatments/cellulite-treatments

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/cosmetic-treatments/non-invasive-fat-removal

People with pacemakers or metal IUDs can't do cavitation.