Super Contributor

FACEROBICS on youtube...Anyone doing this facial exercise program

This specific program was created by a woman named Peta.  ALL the videos on youtube are free.  Looks interesting however there are ALOT of videos...some are instructional to show how to do the exercises...others are the facial workout programs which yoou follow along with her.  There are several levels which one rotates through to keep the face muscles activated.  Anyone doing this program?  Results?

Honored Contributor

Re: FACEROBICS on youtube...Anyone doing this facial exercise program

wrote:

This specific program was created by a woman named Peta.  ALL the videos on youtube are free.  Looks interesting however there are ALOT of videos...some are instructional to show how to do the exercises...others are the facial workout programs which yoou follow along with her.  There are several levels which one rotates through to keep the face muscles activated.  Anyone doing this program?  Results?

@MsCatLuver  IMHO, this is not accurate. Winking, smiling, etc. = crows feet and too much movement of the neck over the years is what leads naturally to the sagging of the neck muscles. Smiling, the movements of lips using a straw (puckering) results in lines above upper lip. Why move your face around more than needed to speed up these wrinkles?

Super Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@MsCatLuver  IMHO, this is not accurate. Winking, smiling, etc. = crows feet and too much movement of the neck over the years is what leads naturally to the sagging of the neck muscles. Smiling, the movements of lips using a straw (puckering) results in lines above upper lip. Why move your face around more than needed to speed up these wrinkles?

@Shanus  thanks for your reply.  Peta "agrees" with your comments BUT ONLY IF the exercises are preformed incorrectly.  She put out a video titled "Facial exercises cause wrinkles" and explains in depth "why" her program will not do so.  I have not done the program...so, not claiming to be a fan of Peta's..but I do find her explanations interesting.  She pus out alot of content for free (yes i know she has advertisers on her you tube channel but her followers are not having to pay).

Respected Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

... IMHO, this is not accurate. Winking, smiling, etc. = crows feet and too much movement of the neck over the years is what leads naturally to the sagging of the neck muscles. Smiling, the movements of lips using a straw (puckering) results in lines above upper lip. Why move your face around more than needed to speed up these wrinkles?

@Shanus, I also feel this way.  Once, I started some simple mouth exercises, but stopped when lines started getting more pronounced.

Many of the other exercises I tried required very subtle movements which I found hard to duplicate. Videos and pictures in books didn’t help me either.  So I just stopped altogether.

Respected Contributor

I remember years ago when I bought that "facial flex" thingy from QVC (with the rubber bands).  I used that thing faithfully until I looked in the mirror while doing it and saw where it was creating wrinkles around my mouth!  I've tried doing facial exercises without it, but I can't find a way to do them without making wrinkles.

They talk about sagging muscles causing the look of aging, but I think it's really the sagging skin that is the culprit.  My mouth gets enough exercise that I doubt my muscles need more work!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I remember years ago reading that doing facial exercises is not beneficial to the face. In fact, it can cause more wrinkles, etc. I would rather spend my time doing a workout for my body.

Esteemed Contributor

Facial exercises have been around for many decades. The actors who did silent pictures were coached in doing these properly.
Many movements are very subtle, and I'm sure difficult to learn without direct feedback from a teacher watching you closely and feeling for correct movement below the skin. Those work, but should be started while you're at an age that they are preventative, not corrective.

I've also seen those exaggerated 'faces'; squinting twisted expressions that only deepen the creases. Now THAT'S a waste of time!
Respected Contributor

Essential Day Spa has a skin care forum. I don’t often go there so don’t know how active it is.

Just googling for information on the flex exerciser,  a long discussion came up about Flex Effect on the EDS site.

The thread is from 2012, but I think it would still be relevant. The varying experiences and opinions are interesting.

The title of the thread is: Bad experience with Flex Effect. Anyone else have the same?  

Super Contributor

Thank you to all repliers.