Respected Contributor
How boring the world be if we all only wore taupe eye shadow!
Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
How boring the world be if we all only wore taupe eye shadow!

@RollTide2008  I agree. Any lighter shadow mixed with a shade you like as a green mixed with a light beige or violet mixed with a pale grey or any shade mixed with a "wheat tone", tones it down to a neutral. 

Makeup artists rarely use only one foundation or one lip shade or one shadow. The mixture of colors gets the look spot on. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@beach-mom  Many with hooded lids make the mistake of using too dark or too obvious a shadow shade in the crease area. I've found in most cases, a more neutral shade that's several shades darker than the skin tone, recedes the hooded area without drawing attention to it. 

Since application on the hooded lid is done with the eyes opened and brushed above where a crease would be, if the shade is too dark or not a usual skin tone shade, like the burgundy you mention, it defeats the purpose, IMO. 

The same theory works for deep set eyes....a lighter shade of shadow brings the deepened area forward. 

LG palettes? I've never used her shadows. Most palettes seem to have too many shimmer shadows and not enough mattes for my esthetic.

Thank you for your great advice as always @Shanus! I'll stick to my usual neutral peaches. I'll let DD play with the wine colors. She has green eyes and beautiful eyelids. My mom had those eyelids She used to use EL liquid shadows and would match them to what she was wearing. She always looked great! 

Oh to be in my 20's and play with all of those pretty colors!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: Eyeshadow colors??

[ Edited ]

@Shanus 

I have found that my hooded eyelids are hidden by my false lashes.  It's true.  I put on my lashes first, before anything.  The lashes I wear help me to determine where to place my e/s.  I thought it was just me but a few months ago Tati (very popular beauty YTer and M/U artist) said the same thing but with mascara not false lashes.  

I just got my Stila Kitten eyeshadow yesterday and am so excited to use it.

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl  I agree, I think one can look tired - or something - if you use those shades directly on the eye lid. But not so if you use them for contour, like in or above the crease. And then probably best if used lightly. I wouldn't shade my lower lash line with them, though.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa 

I wouldn't shade my lower lash line with them, though.

Brown (with some sparkle) and navy bottom eyeliner only for me

Honored Contributor

Re: Eyeshadow colors??

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom   You're welcome, but don't think muted shadow is depressing. If anything, it actually brings out the color of your eyes more than bright or burgundy, eyc. shades.

When you have time, do one eye like you usually would with peach, amber, bronze, topaz shades and the other eye with pinks, reds, etc. Take a selfie and see which one lets you see your beautiful hazel  eyes and which eye shadow draws attention to the lids and not your eye. 

Have a great weekend. 

Honored Contributor

Bottom liner? My choice is usually an eye shadow very close to the lashes and smudged....usually the same shade as my crease shade. 

It's good to think of keeping everything "upward". That's why we move our blush placement, bronzer up on the cheekbones...different than in our 30's+. Even brows are better arched slightly upwards. Liner is thinner and more smudged/natural looking on upper lash line, but especially below the eye.

Makeup can be done beautifully at any age, but adjustments should be made. That's why youtubers that are 30, 40, etc. can be misleading to follow. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I lIke them and have a few palettes. My MOB gown is a deep rose color so I'm testing various shades and combos. 

@JeanLouiseFinch   IMHO (although not requested), I wouldn't match shadow to your dress. Makeup should bring out your eyes, look natural with your other makeup, etc.  and not fight for attention with what you're wearing. You could look for a shadow in a muted khaki...opposite on the color wheel from the deep rose of your dress.

I assume you want to look natural and beautiful on this big day. I always feel that when someone looks at a person, they should see the whole picture....no one part should overshadow the rest, but rather blend into one gorgeous picture.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Bottom liner? My choice is usually an eye shadow very close to the lashes and smudged....usually the same shade as my crease shade. 

It's good to think of keeping everything "upward". That's why we move our blush placement, bronzer up on the cheekbones...different than in our 30's+. Even brows are better arched slightly upwards. Liner is thinner and more smudged/natural looking on upper lash line, but especially below the eye.

Makeup can be done beautifully at any age, but adjustments should be made. That's why youtubers that are 30, 40, etc. can be misleading to follow. 

@Shanus   I know I should probably be smudging the low lash line.  I don't...  I use the same Clinique liquid liner as on the top.   I keep them both pretty thin... no arch upward at the end of the liner...  it stops at the end of my eye,  with a little space between the upper and lower lines.  You have inspired me TOMORROW to try a smudge below.  I don't need to do my brows because that is the one thing that is perfect.  full, with no need for tweeking.