Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@chrystaltree 

Where do you live that you don't see women wearing colored eyeshadow?

@monicakm   I live in NC and traveled the east coast, west coast, most places in between...large cities in Europe. 

I've seen kids, tweens and young women experiment with brightly colored shadows, but women of a certain age and "income", socialites, are natural with their makeup. 

Very few women come to me and ask for bright shadows ...they want a natural look with maybe a few tips to amp it up for special occasions. 

This is more common since Covid when women learned they can be pretty wearing less makeup and why many makeup companies (Revlon, etc.) are having a tough time now. I  personally like a simple routine with a few products that do double duty: lipstick as blush, bronzer in the crease...

Expensive luxury brands of makeup are having just as much loss in revenue as Revlon now. Women and everyone are more conscious of what they're spending on makeup, clothing, food, gas, etc. Drawers of makeup worn only occasionally does notmake sense to me now. 

My personal stash has been whittled down even though I still need to keep my office fully stocked with assorted colors, shades, palettes and products. Many are gifted (Jones Road, RMS, Dior, Makeup BY Mario, Estee Lauder, etc.) or I wouldn't purchase a full line. 

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Bottom liner? My choice is usually an eye shadow very close to the lashes and smudged....usually the same shade as my crease shade. 

It's good to think of keeping everything "upward". That's why we move our blush placement, bronzer up on the cheekbones...different than in our 30's+. Even brows are better arched slightly upwards. Liner is thinner and more smudged/natural looking on upper lash line, but especially below the eye.

Makeup can be done beautifully at any age, but adjustments should be made. That's why youtubers that are 30, 40, etc. can be misleading to follow. 

@Shanus   I know I should probably be smudging the low lash line.  I don't...  I use the same Clinique liquid liner as on the top.   I keep them both pretty thin... no arch upward at the end of the liner...  it stops at the end of my eye,  with a little space between the upper and lower lines.  You have inspired me TOMORROW to try a smudge below.  I don't need to do my brows because that is the one thing that is perfect.  full, with no need for tweeking.  

@nyc1  I like inspiring..not to follow exactly, but at least give it a try. BTW, between the top liner and bottom liner, there should not be a space. If you want your eyes to look larger, elongated and not as round, try connecting those liners in the corner even if slightly smudged. 

Here's a trick: hold a folded tissue, credit card or any straight edge against the outer corner of your lower lash line up to the end of your brow. Besides showing you where your brow should end, it gives you a guide how to aim your liner upward. It also gives you the exact placement of shadow...staying within the space created by the folded tissue and not beyond the end of the brow. This is called eye mapping to get the proportions/placement correct and most pleasing to your makeup look. 

Honored Contributor

I felt inclined recently (don't know why as I hardly ever wear shadow) to purchase a rose gold shadow from a drugstore the other day.  I've always been drawn to this color, even in jewelry.  It's a beautiful color but just not sure if it's right for me.  It wasn't expensive, so if it's not good, I will just toss it.  I see women on t.v. wearing a rather bright orange colored shadow.  I do NOT care for this look at all and think it looks kind of clownish.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@nyc1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Bottom liner? My choice is usually an eye shadow very close to the lashes and smudged....usually the same shade as my crease shade. 

It's good to think of keeping everything "upward". That's why we move our blush placement, bronzer up on the cheekbones...different than in our 30's+. Even brows are better arched slightly upwards. Liner is thinner and more smudged/natural looking on upper lash line, but especially below the eye.

Makeup can be done beautifully at any age, but adjustments should be made. That's why youtubers that are 30, 40, etc. can be misleading to follow. 

@Shanus   I know I should probably be smudging the low lash line.  I don't...  I use the same Clinique liquid liner as on the top.   I keep them both pretty thin... no arch upward at the end of the liner...  it stops at the end of my eye,  with a little space between the upper and lower lines.  You have inspired me TOMORROW to try a smudge below.  I don't need to do my brows because that is the one thing that is perfect.  full, with no need for tweeking.  

@nyc1  I like inspiring..not to follow exactly, but at least give it a try. BTW, between the top liner and bottom liner, there should not be a space. If you want your eyes to look larger, elongated and not as round, try connecting those liners in the corner even if slightly smudged. 

Here's a trick: hold a folded tissue, credit card or any straight edge against the outer corner of your lower lash line up to the end of your brow. Besides showing you where your brow should end, it gives you a guide how to aim your liner upward. It also gives you the exact placement of shadow...staying within the space created by the folded tissue and not beyond the end of the brow. This is called eye mapping to get the proportions/placement correct and most pleasing to your makeup look. 

@Shanus  WFH today...  just ran to give your suggestion about joining the lines even with a smudge a try....   NICE!   I do thing it gives the shape and even more almond shape,  which I really like.  I just smudge UP the bottom line to meet the outter portion of the upper line.  Tomorrow I'll tweek it a little.  THANKS...  nice trick.

Honored Contributor

@nyc1   I just love giving out free tricks! A nice almond eye is gorgeous, right? Whenever I have enough time to apply/remove makeup (once or several times) is play time to me.