Super Contributor

I'm 68 and also have crepey lids---and crepey face--but that's another story!  I found if I use a soft eyeliner pencil and put on my --- is it called water line??----most times that is enough.  But, this is the real trick.  I learned this from my kit from Westmore (I LOVE) !  It came with a dense pointy brush.  Dampen the brush and sweep it in the eyeshadow-- wipe off excess----and I hold my eye sort of taut---and sweep the brush over the last line.  I found I look better if i only sweep it to my iris----and hold the brush so you sweep downward---cause a nice flow of product. It is soft and no harsh edges.  I have actually had people compliment my eyeliner!  Just give it a try and see if if works for you!

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl  I have this same problem. I learned how to tightline and use Bobbi Brown Gel liner (it comes in a jar). Wow, what a difference! I get the definition my eyes need, and no more squiggly lines. To learn how to tightline, I went on YouTube and watched several videos until I found a method that worked for me.

Honored Contributor

I like a gel pencil or a gel in the pot personally.  I think they glide on much more smoothly.

I have also gotten more into lining with a shadow.  I always do that under my eyes now. 

I never, ever, ever use a black liner because for me, I find it to be way too harsh.  I also never, ever line my waterline.  Again, I think that looks very harsh, dated and makes the eyes look smaller.   

Honored Contributor

I tightline both upper and lower lids---and I bought Mallys gel liner pencils and they are truly the best as those things LAST. got one in black brown and plum. I have hazel eyes. they glide on so smooth and even too. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I like a gel pencil or a gel in the pot personally.  I think they glide on much more smoothly.

I have also gotten more into lining with a shadow.  I always do that under my eyes now. 

I never, ever, ever use a black liner because for me, I find it to be way too harsh.  I also never, ever line my waterline.  Again, I think that looks very harsh, dated and makes the eyes look smaller.   

I use black liners b/c my lashes, brows and hair on my head are all black as can be. I'm part Asian.  If I use brown liners then it's hardly noticeable, especially against my med-dark complexion.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I use black liners b/c my lashes, brows and hair on my head are all black as can be. I'm part Asian.  If I use brown liners then it's hardly noticeable, especially against my med-dark complexion.

@SilleeMee , I'm blonde, green eyed and medium leaning to light skin. I'm also on the other side of 50.  LOL  I used to wear black liner all the time and thought it looked great.  Now if I give it a whirl and see pictures, it looks super harsh on me.     

Esteemed Contributor

Bobbi Brown eye liner gel. Works for me even with my allergies and sensitve skin.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I like to tightline my eyes using black eyeshadow which I apply with a wet flat liner brush by pressing it into my lashline. The line is not drawn on my lid but directly in the lashline. What you get is a clean look which makes you appear to have fuller lashes. You can even wing it out if you want that, too, by using the same brush. A thick liner, for me anyway, is not attractive on an older woman....it ages you.

@SilleeMee   Just checked in for a moment amidst the chaos of construction here. Yes, tightlining is a preferred method to define the eye, give the appearance of fuller lashes and not take up precious lid space that we lose as we get older....or anyone who has a hooded lid. 

I do, however, recommend a waterproof product like a pencil (I've had luck w/ Mally's or UD 24/7 pencils) or a waterproof gel like the one from Bobbi Brown or something similar. 

Sometimes after tightlining, if you look up in the mirror, you can still see a strip of lid/skin under the lashes and to really make lashes look thicker, I use the waterproof product on that top waterline, too. 

Good waterproof eye makeup removers are any oil cleansers used for cleansing your face, Lancôme makes a great one (not too oily) that's always top rated (the one you need to shake up), I've used makeup wipes (not very thorough) & Almay has oil based eye makeup remover pads. Sometimes I use the BB Long Wear Makeup Remover when it's on sale or I have samples. 

Honored Contributor

I think we've had a similar conversation before about tightlining.Woman Happy ...and as always, you give some great advice. @Shanus 

Honored Contributor

If using black mascara, black tightline is the way to go. Another color may show up as dots between the lashes. 

I've found unless I use a waterproof product, it ends up on my bottom waterline which closes in the eye making it look smaller.