Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

After seeing all the suggestions here, including mine, I'm wondering have you asked her why she wants to try liquid liner? What is she trying to achieve?

@Icegoddess   Yes, I was trying to find a polite way of asking, as well. Usually liquid liner is too heavy once we reach a "certain age". I even smudge out my thin line of gel liner w/ an eye shadow in a similar shade.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

After seeing all the suggestions here, including mine, I'm wondering have you asked her why she wants to try liquid liner? What is she trying to achieve?

@Icegoddess   Yes, I was trying to find a polite way of asking, as well. Usually liquid liner is too heavy once we reach a "certain age". I even smudge out my thin line of gel liner w/ an eye shadow in a similar shade.

@Shanus I guess I'm more like a bull in a china shop, and I know it.  Probably the engineer in me.  Anyways, my method usually involves a gel pencil first and then I'll use the liquid on top and to extend the line a bit.  I don't do thick lines at all although I do thicken it out a bit at the outer corners.

Respected Contributor

Kim Ravel Belle Beauty Linebacker @ qvc. I had to practice a few times. I tried it, Laura Geller, etc. none 

worked for me.
This liner has a very thin brush, doesn't dry out and, for me, most importantly doesn't irritate my eyes.

It lasts and lasts all day. I love it. Check the reviews.

Btw I am almost 68 years old, a little saggy, a little shaky.

It is a fabulous product!

Respected Contributor

My best application is a gel pencil liner first, and the liquid felt-tip pen type liner over it to smooth out any iffy areas and extend the line a bit, make it look very even and smooth. 

I also use the felt tip liner (I use Stila) to dot between lower lashes instead of drawing a line there, you hardly wee it but it really makes a difference.

For older eyes a softer color works better than black or dark brown.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I use a flat liner brush and apply black powder eyeshadow directly into my lash line. With a flat liner brush you just press it along your lash line, don't sweep it until you get to the 'wing' part on the outer corners. I like to use the flat liner brush slightly wet then swipe into the shadow and that way it gives more definition (darker). 

These are the liner products I use:

Bdellium Tools Professional Eco-Friendly Makeup Brush Green Bambu Series with Vegan Synthetic Bristles - Flat Eye Definer 714 - $9 (Amazon)

This brush is about 5 inches long and very easy to manipulate across your eyelid. Bristles are firm and puts down a very fine line. Top-rated.

61dTz-OEukL._SX522_.jpg

NYX Cosmetics Hot Singles Eye Shadow Raven - $5 

download.jpg

NYX shadow is nearly black, not heavily pigmented which means you can apply a lighter coverage or it can be layered to give more color. It's matte and can be used wet.

@SilleeMee When I do it that way I prefer an angled stiff brush.  It works better for me especially at the outer corner.

@author Looks like we apply eyeliner the same way.  Your 1st paragraph and my response above are almost identical.  

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Yes!  I just read your post and we do it the same way.  It is the easiest, and lasts the longest, better than just the pencil or the felt tip liquid alone. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think when you get to the crepey lid, shaky hand state, you should lay off the eyeliner.  It looks hard and stands out like a sore thumb.   I've seen older women who tried to use it and they convinced me to give it up.  Mascara too.

@Kachina624 Hello my Dear,  I get fantastic results with a gel pencil. I have a touch of crapeiness. It's the thin brushes that cause less than perfect lines because they're SO precise.

Honored Contributor

I also like a gel pencil by wet n wild...Megalast Retractable. It was recommended here by @Texasmouse  who I haven't seen in a very long time. Every time I use that liner I think of her. Hope she is doing okay. 

Regular Contributor
Love your help!! Thanks
Regular Contributor
Just wanted to thank everyone for some great suggestions!!! Thanks