Frequent Contributor

I am slow-walking 70, so I understand your issue.  I have hazel color eyes (blue, green & gray flecks).   My go to eyeliner for the last 20 years, has been AVON waterproof midnight blue (navy) and it does not look harsh like black does.   I also like AVON emerald (green) when I wear green because it brings out the green flecks in my eyes.  My mascara is always the  Thrive brand.  It will make a stick curl!!!!!  The mascara is pricey......but it last months.  I usually have to buy 2 a year,  but I don't mind because my eyelashes look like I have false ones on.  Thrive mascara makes every lash look like 4.    I love it.

Respected Contributor

Robert Jones Makeup Artist says to use a Defining mascara such as Maybelline (the one with the green top and pink bottom) it has been around forever. This is what I use and as I have gotten older my eyelashes have gotten straighter also. 

Respected Contributor

I also would use a brown eyeliner or bronze this will also give your eyes a lift.Even thought you use a black eyeliner very thin another color will make a difference. I use to use black eyeliner  and a makeup artist told me to wear brown as black should be worn at night. I changed to brown and never went back to black as it did brighten up my eyes. I also use navy blue. I find Pixi pencils to be nice and glide on very easily found at Target. 

Respected Contributor

@loves daisies 

Thank you for the Thrive mascara info.  I had never heard of it. I went to their site and it has great reviews.  I used to love the philosophy "tube" mascara.  I will be ordering this very soon!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   Lashes: a lash serum may provide more thickness or length to make it easier to curl. Also the correct lash curler for your eye shape helps a lot. I use the  Shu Uemura curler for myself and clients. It has a good universal shape and comes with one pad on it and one replacement pad. I change to the extra pad after 6 months giving me a year before having to purchasing a new curler. Wipe the pad clean with mascara remover after each use so it doesn't build up. The spring action and pads are not meant to last forever. Especially on less expensive curlers, some women think the pads can do the same job when they get older, but they flatten out and the rubber material gets stiff. No waterproof mascara which will pull out your lashes with the extra rubbing to remove it. You can also use a clean mascara wand w/ castor oil to condition lashes at night. 

Liner: here's my usual, boring advice. Use a black waterproof pencil (I like Mally's or Urban Decay 24/7 pencils) & wiggle it between your top lashes to give them a thicker look and give the eye definition (tightlining). There are many videos on YouTube with tutorials how to do this. Wide liner on the lid itself tends to look dated, so if you choose to line above the lashes, hold the pencil from above and line downwards into and close to the lash line. You can smudge with a small brush for a more diffused look. If you choose to use liner on the lid, stay away from a color that's similar to your eye color. It doesn't enhance the color as many assume. Using an opposite color does, however bring life to the eye. I have green eyes, too. I enjoy an amber/bronze liner, amethyst, navy or dark charcoal.

***Here are other tricks to brighten the eyes & give them "life". Be sure you use concealer. A white or bone pencil on the bottom waterline takes away the pink/red color and makes eyes appear larger. Also use a tinted eye primer (since you're not fond of shadow) in one shade lighter than your skin tone. I like Laura Mercier Eye Basics or you can try a waterproof eye shadow stick (Cover Girl, LM, Bobbi Brown) instead of a primer. 

I hope some of these suggestions help you. 

@ECBG Thanks once again for your referral. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Eyeliner help

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@Mom2Dogs @Shanus Is an encyclopedia regarding grooming an makeup.  She'll probably be able to help you.

I sometimes look at the top blogger Nicole Johnson.  You will have to go in from your youtube to subscribe to her.  Be sure to click on the bell.  She has a strong education in areas that encompasses skincare and makeup.  Not someone who just likes it as a hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhS2wb4EgcjdwPG-g6z3dg

@ECBG   Nikol Johnson is especially helpful if you have grey/silver/white hair like she does. She helps adjust makeup colors, shows how to change makeup at 40, 50, 60, 70, etc. She's wonderful at explaining techniques like tightlining and eye shadow. ***Beware she sells her own line of beauty/skincare and there's a slight push to purchase her products.

Frequent Contributor
You can get a lash lift, it’s like a little perm for your lashes. I love the results and they’re getting more and more common.
Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I am 65...green eyes.  I need something to give my eyes some life.  I use a black liner (very thin line) and mascara.  I have tried EVERYTHING to get my lashes to curl, they no longer will curl...I have used several different curlers as well as heated curlers, and a waterproof mascara.  When I was young I had no problem getting the curler to work.  Curled lashes open up the eye.

Can someone give me an idea of what I can do...do I need a different color liner?  I do not want to use eye shadow, I have tried to use it, but it's just not my thing.

thanks

I've had same issues especially finding the BEST eyeliner for my sensitive blue eyes.  If I line my eyes enough, I don't even wear mascara, I wear glasses all the time and it doesn't show up.  Today I ordered a special-priced 3-liner Set from Bare Minerals: good reviews on these too.  Smooth and smudgable and Clean -- Black, Brown, Olive Green. The way to enhance the upper lid with dots of liner is called 'tightlining' -- I never do it, just use liner on upper waterline.  I have 5 of Laura Geller's kajal liners but I can't use them on waterline as they irritate, but they're great for upper lids, awesome long-lasting colors & lines can be thin to thick (have to sharpen after a while tho.  Then you might get away with a bit of black mascara just on tips of lashes.  Good luck!