Esteemed Contributor

Re: Eyeliner + Mascara questions

So many good ideas.  🤔🤔🤔. 

I'll be trying them.  

Thank you!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe   The oil cleanser that I wash my face with at night (Bobbi Brown Soothing Oil Cleanser) removes sunscreen, makeup and waterproof eye makeup. I'm pretty sure most oil cleansers will do the same.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I'm defining my eyes these days, when I go out, but definitely not making a big process out of it. Eyelid primer in a flesh tone to lighten the eyelid area, tightline with navy pencil smudged between the lashes with a soft liner brush and either blush or bronzer in the crease. I wipe off the mascara wand on tissue before application to get some definition without clumps or spider lashes. I add a tinted brow gel. 

On myself, I'm preferring a look that doesn't seem like I took too much time at the makeup mirror trying for perfection. IMO, I feel there's a movement towards a more natural makeup look and healthy, polished skin....especially having to wear masks.

Thanks, Shanus, I agree with you on the trends.  But I am wearing nothing right now, and need some definition around my eyes.  

I have another question on the mascara, if you don't mind.  Do you wipe the mascara wand every time?  This is something I would try, for sure, but have that question.  Don't want to waste product.

@NYCLatinaMe  Yes, unless I'm doing full on makeup and want a perfected eye look, I do wipe the mascara wand (just once gently on a kleenex) before application...another reason I prefer drugstore mascara. I'd never do that with a high price product. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Shanus , I am just not familiar with oil cleansers.  Not a big make-up person.  Just wash my face to remove makeup.  Several posters mentioned the oil cleansers.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe  Even without makeup, oil cleansers are considered to be very gentle and leave the skin moisturized, not stripped. Even oily skin skin can use them. Many people think "oil" and think "grease". Such is not the case with these with these cleansers. They deep clean pores and IMHO are the only type of cleanser that will remove sunscreen which I wear every day, whether or not I'm wearing makeup.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a contact lense wearer, I cannot put anything on any part of my top or bottom waterline.  It ends up seeping into my eyes and causing a mess on my contacts.  I also detest the look of the lower waterline being lined, even if it's with a white or beige liner.  I think it looks unnatural and makes the eyes look smaller, especially when a dark color is used.

I typically use a gel pencil to line and some are better and longer lasting than others.  Right now I am using the L'Oreal Infallible.  I recently purchased a Palladio brand liner from Sally's and it doesn't last on me at all. I've also used gel pot liners that I apply with a brush.  One of my continual faves is Black Honey from Clinique. 

Depeding on my eye look I'm going for, I will use a darker shadow as liner or if I've gone overboard with another liner, applying a shadow over the top helps the situation.  I'm not a fan of liquid liners because I find them to be too harsh looking.  I typically line under my bottom lashes with a totally different color than the top and I only go in about a 1/4".  Most of the time I don't use mascara on my bottom lashes because I have dark circles.   

I don't have an issue with losing lashes when I use mascara but I would suggest a tubing mascara.  You just use water to remove those.