Esteemed Contributor

Eyeliner + Mascara questions

I am really not a big make-up wearer, but in these masking days, the eyes are so important, and I would love some advice.  

I consider eyeliner a basic but have problems applying it.  Make-up pencils do not seem to like my skin.  I apply and see nothing.  My skin is very dry, and I am not big on applying layers of goo around my eyes. My eyelids are droopier than I would like, but not really droopy.  When I was a kid, i would burn the end of the pencil to get the color out, but that doesn't seem like a good thing.  I can get a good line with the IT Cosmetics Superhero Liquid-Gel Liner, but it is kind of harsh.  I would prefer a softer line.  Suggestions?

Regarding mascara, love the look of it, but I always feel I lose eyelashes every time I remove mascara, so I seldom use it.  Is that my imagination, or is it true that removing mascara causes the loss of lashes?

I gather @Shanus may be a make-up artist, and I would particularly welcome her input, but I would also welcome everyone that has some insight into this.

Thanks in advance!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Eyeliner + Mascara questions

[ Edited ]

Lancome Artliner is great! You sound like the Perfect person for this product. It is much better than similar brands of liquid liner. It is one of lancome's best sellers. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I hate eyeliner that is difficult to apply as well.  My current faves that go on very easily are Urban Decay, Mally and Edward Bess.  Laura Gellar makes decent eyeliner but sometimes they dry up over time, just like the It Cosmetics no tug eyeliner, which now does indeed tug.

I don't believe that removing mascara causes loss of lashes as long as you use the right product.  I wear both regular and waterproof mascara depending on the day.  I use the Neutrogena dual phase eye makeup remover in the purpple bottle.  It works quite well.  For waterproof I just do an extra rub down to get it all off with a cotton pad.  Never have any issues losing lashes and I wear eye makeup daily.  If you really want somthing super gentle try a makeup remover balm.  These are very effective and require less rubbing, I just find them a little messy. A few good ones are Banila clean it zero and Farmacy green clean cleansing balm.  Beware though, some of them can be mighty greasy.  These two are absolutely not greasy once rinsed off.  The It cosmetics one is super greasy for example.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Regarding removing mascara, my first inkling would be that perhaps you are rubbing too hard when removing.  I wear waterproof mascara (my eyes tend to water and clearly don't want to be rubbing my eyes!), so I probably take extra measures when trying to get it all off.  I apply liquid eye makeup remover makeup remover towelette (I know, it's weird to use 2 of the same products, but it works for me). A cotton ball will work just fine!  Pour the makeup remover on a cotton pad, close your eyes, and gently hold it over your closed eye for a few seconds. Then gently wipe DOWNWARD. If your eyelashes are sensitive or delicate, you don't want to be rubbing them in every direction.  This gets about 75% of my mascara off. I then wash my entire face with an oil cleanser (I use dermalogica pre-cleanse) and that removes any lingering mascara/eyeliner.

Is the only time you loose lashes when you wear mascara? If so, that's what makes me think it could be from rubbing to hard.

PS.... like @Grouchomarx , I use Neutrogena makeup remover (I use the purple bottle and the wipes).

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe  I line the inner rim (top) with IT pencil.  It stays on.  I no longer line the outside of my eyes because I'm always in a hurry these days and it's a little more tedious these days.  I'm almost 74 years old and just don't want to take the time to get it right.

I have used Maybelline black (WATERPROOF) mascara for many years.  When my husband died I could bust out crying anywhere it hit.  Not once did this mascara run and make my eyes look like a black eye.  No one could tell right after that I'd just been a slobering mess.

I can now put on primer (Lori Geller Spackle), liquid makeup (varies, but works great), eyebrow brush (gel, two face), eye liner and mascare as above.  OK, so all of that takes me maybe 5 minutes and that includes curing my eyelashes BEFORE I apply lthe mascara.

Something I learned a long time ago is when you put on the mascara start at the base of the eye.  If you don't you are actually "uncurling" them because the top of the lash gets more on it than the base.  Makes sense, doesn't it.

Esteemed Contributor

I like a soft "line" effect, too. But I'm one for using eye serums/creams, so I need mine to stay.

For double stay insurance, I'll use Tatcha, the silk canvas - just a mere smudge on lids and under eye lash line (also on brows)...

A little prep w/ some "shadow," which is really a neutral blush...with my flat eye brush on top and under eye lash line.

Then, my favorite eye pencil for my brown eyes is Sephora waterproof gray glitter. I never really draw this on, because it would be too harsh. I softly put this on, but then immediately smudge it out with the same flat eye brush. And I do this lightly on my lower lash line.

(For droopy eye, you could wing out a smudge to lift at the corners.) Sometimes I do this for a bit of an eye extension look.

Then that same blush I use to softly define my crease.

I hardly use mascara these days....but if I do, more often than not it's Maybelline, and I only touch my lashes. I don't pull the brush through, because I really don't need any length, and I don't want anything harsh. Just enhanced.

When cleansing eyes, hold your cleanser to your eyes for a moment to soften any makeup, then gently rinse off. I never lose lashes.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe  I line the inner rim (top) with IT pencil.  It stays on.  I no longer line the outside of my eyes because I'm always in a hurry these days and it's a little more tedious these days.  I'm almost 74 years old and just don't want to take the time to get it right.

I have used Maybelline black (WATERPROOF) mascara for many years.  When my husband died I could bust out crying anywhere it hit.  Not once did this mascara run and make my eyes look like a black eye.  No one could tell right after that I'd just been a slobering mess.

I can now put on primer (Lori Geller Spackle), liquid makeup (varies, but works great), eyebrow brush (gel, two face), eye liner and mascare as above.  OK, so all of that takes me maybe 5 minutes and that includes curing my eyelashes BEFORE I apply lthe mascara.

Something I learned a long time ago is when you put on the mascara start at the base of the eye.  If you don't you are actually "uncurling" them because the top of the lash gets more on it than the base.  Makes sense, doesn't it.

@Annabellethecat66 

I guess it depends on the look you want with your lashes. I touch my lashes in the middle, just to get some of the mascara on them.

I might do things differently if I were in a photo shoot.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

I'm one that has deep set eyes to deal with.  I prefer Bobbi Brown's eyeliner and draw several dashes instead of trying to get a line.  Bobbi's black is a little deeper, so I only use it on top.

Laura Geller goes in the bottom, it's softer.  

I take it all off in the shower with Purity.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 I'll check it out, thanks!

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

I’m Not an expert at all.

Are you by any chance using waterproof mascara?  I understand 

why people use it, but my eyelashes will not tolerate it.  I use ILYA

mascara and love it.

I use my flat eyeliner brush, and dab a soft line, using loose eyeshadow, right into and a tiny bit above my lashes.  My choice is Bare Minerals.

Hope you find a style you like.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras