Valued Contributor

I have always used pencils, the rounded ones made particularly for eyebrows (not eyeliner) . Then powder came out, and I bought several different brands, some included a wax to put on after you used the powder. Now they are back to pencils but different formulas with the tips cut into a more angular shape (not round anymore). I don't want to buy one until I know if they're any better than the powder products. Anyone have an opinion on this? I am behind the times?

Trusted Contributor

Personally, I prefer the powder/pomade (wax) applications of brow products, more natural.  Please know that the wax product is to be applied first and the powder thereupon.  Newer versions of this type of brow product application actually have a colored wax (quite translucent) so you can see where you are applying and then you apply the powder which makes it adhere. 

The only pencils I can recommend is Anastasia's and Hourglass.  To answer your question if they have changed much, newer pencils boast having a microfine point which truly allows you to achieve hair-like strokes.  There is a drug store brand by name of NYX that has a complete knock-off of the more expensive Anastasia microfine pencil.  Definitely worth looking at.  The Hourglass pencil has a slanted point which may give you more precise-control if shaping is a concern as well.  I believe both brands I've recommended here offer both the microfine and slanted.

If cost is an issue, please do look at the many offerings the local drugstores now have.  These brands have become quite competitive.  Hope this helps!  Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

I have tried just about everything, I have good brows, but at my age they are sparse. Right now I go between arch expert from Doll 10 and a bareminerals powder in taupe/med brown that I've had for years. 

Honored Contributor

Just depends on what you like and how comfortable and confident you are applying it. For me it's a pencil because I like how quickly I can apply it, knowing my brows will look good throughout the day.Woman Happy I use the e.l.f. brow pencil in taupe...top-rated, reasonably priced and sold everywhere.

Honored Contributor

Re: Eyebrow products

[ Edited ]

I have a few faves (including the e.l.f.).  But one is a combo and available at Sally Beauty, Amazon, & Ebay:  "Femme Couture Perfect Arch Soft Powder Brow Pencil"

P.S.:  if you want a cool/neutral dark brown shade, choose the 'Black'

Honored Contributor

I've always used a pencil then decided I should try the powder and waxes so I spent money and tried a number of them.  Now I'm back to using the taupe ELF pencil and think I'll just stick with it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It depends if you want a more defined look... pencil or a softer look w/ powder.

Respected Contributor

I have powder but prefer pencil as it gives more control to the shape. 

Milani was recommended to me here years ago, and I like it because it is soft and goes on easily.  It's not expensive, but I felt there wasn't much product in the pencil.  I recently tried Elf, in a white pencil with a brush on one end. Very nice, and incredibly, only $2 at Ulta.  I believe Target has it as well.  It's overpried on Amazon.  Elf has a taupe pencil, not always easy to find.

Super Contributor

wrote:

I have always used pencils, the rounded ones made particularly for eyebrows (not eyeliner) . Then powder came out, and I bought several different brands, some included a wax to put on after you used the powder. Now they are back to pencils but different formulas with the tips cut into a more angular shape (not round anymore). I don't want to buy one until I know if they're any better than the powder products. Anyone have an opinion on this? I am behind the times?

I've used both powder and pencil. Tried so many. But find that by using eyebrow stencils and the Brow Gal Powder and Brush, they come out perfect everytime. Never thought the brush made a huge difference, but dang, the brow gal brush is magic! QVC Item #A296935. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Eyebrow products

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for all the responses. I'll check into the less expensive version of the angled pencils as suggested. The fine hair technique looks good for those with a light hand. Not sure I would be that good at the application.