Frequent Contributor

Re: Eyebrow Tinting - Made an appointment - Now I'm scared to go and do it!

@Shanus wrote:

@missmouse12 wrote:

Thanks for the tip @Shanus .

I had my eyebrows tinted at the beginning of the year and it lasted all of about 2 weeks.  I was not spending $20 every 2 weeks to have it done so I haven't done anything.  I will try Just for Men

@missmouse12   I'm not sure how much a box of the JustFor Men costs, but definitely much less than $20. Mine starts fading at week 3, but it only takes a total of 10 minutes to redo them. That includes mixing the dye in the tray and application and leaving it on for the 3-5 minutes...no driving to the salon time. 

@Shanus I think I'll try it this weekend.  Nothing but chores to do anyway so 10 mins to my day will be nothing!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I made an appointment to get my eyebrows tinted and now I am scared and don't know if I should do it!

I have such sensitve skin I am afraid I will get a reaction from the dye!

Anyone who has had this done in a salon ever get a reaction from the dye???

I have really pale, patchy eyebrows and you can hardly see them.  I have tried many times to use products--- pencils, powders, etc. but I can't get it right at all!

Not to mention there is no shape to them!  I recently got them waxed but I see not much difference to them!

I have read here that a lot of women tint their own using various products but I'm afraid these products will be too strong and also that I will make a mess of my eyebrows!

Anyone have any input???   Thanks! 

@AngelPuppy1   I use JUST FOR MEN, the one for mustaches and beards in Blonde...a little more like taupe. I've had no issues with it being too irritating or strong on my skin. It says to leave it on for 5 minutes, but I use wet cotton pads to wipe it off after 3 minutes. It's easy to apply, comes with a bigger brush that's clumsy, so I use a spoolie or you can use an old, clean mascara wand. 

This is reckless and potentially dangerous 'advice'.

No professional would advise this 'at home hack'.  Please go to a professional @AngelPuppy1  and all. Not worth the risk to your skin and eyes! 

Is Eyebrow Tinting Safe?

In a word–not yet. Unfortunately, the eyebrow and eyelash tinting dye and processes salons perform aren’t FDA approved. Usually cosmetics don’t need FDA approval before going mainstream. However, these dyes contain color additives, which is in the FDA wheelhouse. The kicker? The FDA doesn’t approve any color additives for brow or lash tinting—some dyes are even rumored to use coal tar, which the FDA says “represents an acute, severe hazard to health with the possibility of permanent injury; i.e., impaired sight, including blindness.” So the risks of eyebrow tinting range from mild dermatitis to blindness, with a whole slew of possible rash, blistering, burning and conjunctivitis

@Beth-QVC  - is this type of potentially dangerous advice permissible here? Please review, thank you! 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

Another vote for Just For Men.  When I colored my hair I sometimes used it; very easy and lasts well.  Now that I've gone silver grey my brows are still naturally dark brown with occasional grey ( sometimes I tweezers those, sometimes I lightly colored with taupe pencil).  I have plenty of brows ( and hair) but tails are sparse; pencil works best.  My problem is that sometimes my brows get too long; in that case I use gasoline, comb them straight up and use small scissors to trim them across tops.  My 10x magnifier is my favorite tool and I tweeze daily.

Honored Contributor

No - The woman who does my hair suggested trimming and dying them - but I said no.

I sometimes color them myself with Just for Men mustache dye!  It isn't permanent - needs to be redone every so often.  I sometimes brush some dark brown eyebrow powder on them.  

At the moment they are a rather bushy show capped brows.   Brown capped by snow white.  I like they way they look over the dark frames of my eyeglasses.

One of these days I'll decide to groom them .... but not now.

Honored Contributor

@patbz 

Thanks for your info!  "Gasoline"???? I guess you meant vasoline --- lol!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

I am really not sure at this point.  I wish my brows had more natural color to them, then I wouldn't bother.  I have been watching several videos but not sure I can do what they say!  Thanks!  

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife 

I have started reading more about this and it seems to be the case!  And you supposedly should be careful about the cleansers, etc. you use because they could cause the tint to fade even quicker.  The more I read and learn, the less I am inclined to do this.  I have been watching tutorials, but not sure I can grasp them.  For one thing, my eye sight is not as great any more and since my brows are so very light, it's hard to see what is going on!  LOL!  Thanks!  

Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for your posts.  I still don't know what I am going to do.  I have almost decided NOT to get the tint.  I am thinking I might just go there and ask her if she could "shape" them more (what there is of them) and show me how to just use a makeup item to dark them a bit as opposed to tinting them.  I am reading here and on line that the tint does not last at all and I don't feel like I want to be going to the place every 3 weeks to get it done.  Plus, I don't like the thought of the ingredients that are not approved being so close to my eyes, since I get so many problems with my eyes any way.  I liked the idea of the no fuss thing with the tint and the convenience every day of just waking up and brows are colored, but after reading all of your posts, I think you have helped me clarify things.  Thank you so much --- you are all very helpful  and I appreciate it! 

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Effie54 

I'm still trying to decided -- I'm on the fence???

Likewise....I also want mine done, but I don't want "too dark" brows for my medium brown hair. 

Valued Contributor

i have several stray gray hairs in my otherwise medium brown brows.  I've toyed with the idea of having them dyed (only at the salon - would never attempt myself) and always chicken out.  I just don't like the idea of dye near my eyes.

What I have found works well is Anastasia brow powder duo.  I get it in the medium brown/taupe combo.  It is easy to use and covers well.  Best of all, I don't have any worries about the color coming out wrong and I am stuck or being nervous having dye near my eyes.  I can't even imagine anyone using dye on their lashes, even if it's "gentle."