Regular Contributor

Eye makeup remover for Dry Eye

Can anyone recommend a eye makeup remover for Dry Eye. I have been using a Cerave cleanser on my eyes to remove my makeup and thinking this maybe why my eyes are so dry and irritated. Do you think a makeup remover especially for eye makeup would be better and what brand is best for sensitive dry eye? Thanks
Honored Contributor

Re: Eye makeup remover for Dry Eye

@jjb

Have you tried making your own with olive oil and castor oil?

Before I made my own cleansing oil, I used Clinique "Take the Day Off."  I also have dry eye and use Restasis.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I too have sensitive dry eyes . I wear a lot less eye makeup these days because of it.  I do use Purity first and find that OCuSoft Eye Scrub ( prefer the pump) helps remove and clean around the eye area.   I also use first thing in the morning as I use a dry eye gel at night.  I ordered on Amazon but since seen at drugstores.  I carry the individual prepackaged wipes of this product to use when traveling.   You might give the product a try.  I'll be following the thread to see what others suggest as well.  😃

Regular Contributor

Interesting! how much of the two oils do you mix together? I thought I had to avoid oil products with dry eye? I'm willing to try anything and I also use Restasis.
Regular Contributor

Can you buy the Ocusoft pump product in the drugstores? I have read this brand is good for Dry Eye and have been wanting to try it but wasn't sure what they offered and where to buy it.
Respected Contributor

I also recommend some kind of oil to remove eye makeup.  Baby oil works but if you don't want the fragrance, olive oil  will work.  Just saturate a cotton ball or cosmetic square with the oil and hold it to your closed eye for 30 seconds to dissolve the makeup.

I like the Pond's Cucumber cold cream.  Removes mascara quickly and isn't overly greasy like the regular cold cream.

Trusted Contributor

I like Paula's Choice Gentle Touch Make-Up Remover (I do have dry eyes) because it is fragrance-free, color free and non-irritating around the eyes.  It's $16 on her website with 10% off and free shipping (also 5 free samples with your order).

Super Contributor

I have extreme dry eyes and rosacea on my lids also. My eye doctor recommended baby shampoo to remove my eye make up. I have one of those bottles that makes foam, so I water down the baby shampoo a bit, put it in the bottle and it works great. Takes off all of my eye make up, doesn't sting, nor does it leave a greasy film that can contribute to your dry eye problem. 

Honored Contributor

My facial cleanser removes all my eyemakeup too but otherwise I've used coconut oil. Works great and doesn't cause issues for my dry eye. 

Honored Contributor

@jjb wrote:
Can anyone recommend a eye makeup remover for Dry Eye. I have been using a Cerave cleanser on my eyes to remove my makeup and thinking this maybe why my eyes are so dry and irritated. Do you think a makeup remover especially for eye makeup would be better and what brand is best for sensitive dry eye? Thanks

My daughter has dry eye and has medicated drops for treatment. Her doc said to use any oily eye makeup remover, but most importantly to resist the pulling/tugging used to remove the mascara (hardest to remove). She told her to use a tubular mascara so it slides off the lashes w/ little effort.