Honored Contributor

Re: Eye cream does nothing different than just regular face skin care

I DO have reason to believe in certain products.

Just lately when I looked into a magnifying mirror, I saw things I had never seen before!

The eye shadow crayons which had left very perceptible damage also made me see other things.... BAD THINGS!  LOL

For years I used an eye cream by Eye Solutions (discontinued) that had a special delivery system and mild retinol/AHA. Using less than a tint dab, each pump bottle lasted 5 years. My lids had no problems. 

Now it is gone --- in about three months my eyes looked 90 years old. 😳

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Whether or not you gravitate to an eye cream/serum all depends on how intricate you want to get with your skincare routine.

Some eye creams and gels are plain stupid. Their ingredients don't do anything. But other products are jam packed with actives that can actually provoke minor miracles. Some items are useless and others are for real. Don't assume they're all flim-flam. And don't use department store salespeople as your only experts. Unless of course, you don't care, which is fine too.

If you educate yourself while undergoing a little trial and error, you can find the products that are worth it--to you. Which is part of the point of this subforum, right? We can share our finds! I love that, don't you?

As in almost everything in life, to each her own and more power to us all.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Yep. Well said, @Porcelain!

Esteemed Contributor

MAke up,artist Wayne Goss thinks eye cream is a huge waste of money and just another way for the cosmetic companies to,get their hands on our money.  HE says all that hype about "the delicate skin around your eyes" is nothing but hype.  HE says your face moisturizing cream is just as good and no eye cream is needed.

Honored Contributor

I agree @suzyQ3 and @Tsukiko!

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

MAke up,artist Wayne Goss thinks eye cream is a huge waste of money and just another way for the cosmetic companies to,get their hands on our money.  HE says all that hype about "the delicate skin around your eyes" is nothing but hype.  HE says your face moisturizing cream is just as good and no eye cream is needed.

@KathyPet He seems to be a smart man. Maybe I should check him out-I tend to like/agree/appreciate what he says when people post what he says on this forum.

Respected Contributor

For actives, no. I use all of my serums, Retinol, etc by my eye. However, my eye area is slightly more dry than the rest of my face, so I use a Cosmedix eye serum that is very thick and emollient there in the am, so that it helps my concealer lay nicely without going on patchy (like it might if I didn't use an eye cream). I don't use a moisturizer in the am, bc I apply a drop of oil to my serums, so I don't have a day moisturizer I use on my entire face that I would also use near my eyes. As for my neck, it is much more sensitive than my face (as well as my getting small patches of eczema on it, although infrequently), so I do use some different items on my neck. But in theory, no, I don't think you need a dedicated eye or neck cream. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would just use a sensitive skin face cream or lotion/moisturizer.

Much more affordable that way.

Respected Contributor

Mellie32, yesterday I read your post before I "put" on my face.  I have had the same question you did: are we being taken for "a ride" when it comes to eye creams?

I have several, so it's not as if I use the same product every am and pm.

I did not apply eye cream, but I did put on primer. I didn't look so bad in the morning, but by afternoon-especially under my "weaker" eye, the skin took on a dry, reptilian appearance.

I did not put on eye cream before bed....looking at myself in the mirror this am makes me want to either crawl back under the covers or under a rock!!!! 

I NEED EYE CREAM!

Whatever I am using, it does something.....but I do need to get my little Tria laser for Eyes out and start treating again.  It's funny, on my left side the skin is smooth, but on the right??? Hmmm, needs some work!

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

Many years ago I read an article that said using a thick cream around your eyes actually drags the skin under the eyes down and causes bags over time.  Creams and most lotions are too heavy for the thin skin under eyes (so said the article).   I don't know if that is true or not, but I immediately quit using anything different around my eyes.  Whatever serum I use on my face, I also apply around my eyes and on my neck.   (saves me money and time too) 

It's all personal preference. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt