Respected Contributor

Re: Eye Primer Older Eyes

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I used Benefit Air Patrol primer-- had gotten a sample then bought an entire full size tube. A little goes a long way and usually one click was good for each eyelid and brow area. I used one click per eye and this tube lasted 3 months on me.

I then got a sample of Urban Decay Original Primer and that tube I do like. One small dot is good for both eyes.

I read reviews and I think many of the reviewers apply too much primer to their lids and brow area and then say that the product is no good because of that.

The idea is to use a small dot and smooth it out so its a thin layer on which your shadows can adhere without going into creases or fine lines on those areas of your lids and below brow areas.

I prefer the Urban Decay Original Primer over the Benefit Air Patrol Primer.

Thanks @JustJazzmom - I think you're probably right about using too much.  Guilty as charged.

On the other hand I often think it's a ploy for yet another unneeded product.  Any cream shadow makes a pretty decent base for powder shadows if I choose to use powder.

ETA: The exception for using primer is most likely oily skinned younger girls.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I then got a sample of Urban Decay Original Primer and that tube I do like. One small dot is good for both eyes.

I read reviews and I think many of the reviewers apply too much primer to their lids and brow area and then say that the product is no good because of that.

The idea is to use a small dot and smooth it out so its a thin layer on which your shadows can adhere without going into creases or fine lines on those areas of your lids and below brow areas.

I prefer the Urban Decay Original Primer over the Benefit Air Patrol Primer.

I agree with JustJazzmom about the Urban Decay Primer--it takes a very little amount.  It leaves my lid smooth and keeps my shadows put without making my lids look crepey  I like it a lot. 

Bobbi Brown's cream eye shadows are quite nice.  They don't require a primer, if you are trying to reduce the number of products you use.

I also wanted to mention the importance of using a really good eye cream and eyemakeup remover that is not drying.  Personally, I have found that keeping the area around the eye moisterized is half the battle.

Respected Contributor

I've only started wearing eye shadow in the past year, just a light neutral color on the lid and a brown shadow for liner. I researched primers because my lids would look oily at the end of the day and the shadow gone. I came up with Smashbox Photo Finish shadow primer and TheBalm Put a Lid on it(often on sale at Dermstore). These are both very effective and only take a few added seconds to use. With the Smashbox you have to wait a full 60 seconds before applying shadow and it has a more silicone feel to it.

Esteemed Contributor

I've ussed and tried many eye primers and finally just stopped using them. All of the eye products that I use have the all in one combination and this works and looks much better on my 50++ eyes. I have sensitive skin and allergies which also was a problem with most primers.

Contributor

Dr. Perricone no eye shadow works well without creepiness. It's a neutral shade.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have no choice butto use some type of primer on my eyelids because they are very "stained."  I like using eyeshadow but without a tinted product underneath, it wouldn't work.

I used to and sometimes still do use Laura Geller's Eye Spackle (the one in the jar), but mostly these days, I use just a small amount of my It Cosmetic Bye-Bye Undereye (black tube) on my lids. It does an excellent job and doesn't seem to interfer with eyeshadows.

EDT to change "butto" to "but to," although I sort of like "butto."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I agree, I have purchased a couple of eye primers and they both did the same thing, crepey, ugly looking skin....I quit using it...if it matters I am  61 years old......just one of the things I have found to be part of the aging process.

Regular Contributor

@Funloving wrote:

Currently I don't use primer before shadow.  it seems to make my lids look dried up and crepey when they aren't that bad.

In another discussion someone mentioned IT's eye primer- I've forgotten the name.

Any thoughts?   Do you use primer and which one?

Tarte sold a really good one-a wand type- but it got discontinued, like many great products.

Boo Hiss.

Not sure if you're thinking of me, but i have recommended IT bye bye lid lines on these boards.  I agree with alot of the comments on this thread but what i will say: some eye primers are different than face primers. I have ver y dry skin and use a very emollient eye cream. Without a primer shadows crease and fade-thru no fault of the shadow! So, i must use a primer in the winter especially. I also have occular rosecea which can make the eyes dry and itchy. Less is more- and if you can skip products as you age more power to you, but some need these products due to thier individual circumstance. So, if you find you can relate to my circumstance, IT byebye lid lines may work. A very small amout spread thinly with a compact concealer brush is how i apply. Let that set then eye makeup as usual. I have tried loads of primers and i do like benefit air patrol as well. It doesnt matter how many products you use-as long as the end result is a "less is more \i was born this way" appearance. I guarantee if you saw me on the street you would have no idea i used so many products! Thats my goal-I love it when people tell me they had no idea i had rosacea or even wore foundation! That tells me ive accomplished what i use makeup for!  Of course, the thrill of the hunt for a holy grail is just to much darn fun! happy hunting!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Funloving Hello, girlfriend!

For me, eye primers are one of the best beauty discoveries ever. I have normal lids-not dry, not oily- but eyeshadows always ended up fading or creasing on me throughout the day. Not any longer (unless it is a really bad shadow formulation, like Josie's coconut liquid eyeshadows and Mally's newer shadow sticks)! If you are referring to that semi-pink based primer Tarte had, I agree, it was really good. It is too bad it has be dq'd!

I don't use face primers as they do nothing for me but I won't be without a shadow primer ever, especially for powder shadows. However, now they are making some really good cream and crayon type eye shadows with amazing staying power and I don't need prmer for those.

By the way, some primers are better for more oily lids due to a drier consistency while others are better for more dry lids due to a more moisturizing consistency. I prefer the more moisturizing type formulas and yes, I've tried some that made my eyelids look dry and crepey even though they are not but that was using a primer with a drier type consistency. And yes, you only need a tiny bit per eye!

Trusted Contributor

I've had good luck with Milani Eyeshadow Primer and Tarte Clean Slate 360 Creasless 12-hour Smoothing Eye Primer.  Moisturize first then a tiny dab of primer.