Honored Contributor

Eye Brows - Know this has been talked about a lot - but here goes .....

I know that everyone says ---you must have decent eye brows otherwise your face is just not going to look right!  Well, I agree for the most part that when your brows look nice, it really does accentute and frame your face nicely and brings out your eyes!

However --- no matter what I do --- I just can't do a decent brow to save my soul!  So, instead, I use nothing.  My brows are pretty light, have gray hairs in places, in some places they are thin, some of the hairs are long and wiry.  In a word a --- mess!  I am not happy with them, but every product I try or method, I never can get it right and I end up looking like Groucho Marx or something!  DH says --- quit worrying about it --- you look fine.  Natural is better!  However, I know that I don't look my best!

Has anyone found a product and/or method that really does work well and is pretty easy and natural looking --- especially for someone like me --- older --- 64 ---- very light and difficult brows?  

I even thought about looking into the micro blading --- scared to death --- but with my health issues --- this would not be a good idea.  

Any help would be appreciated!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Eye Brows - Know this has been talked about a lot - but here goes .....

Try Wonderbrow. A little expensive, $21. but worth it. It will stay on for 2 - 3 days and looks natural. The gray hairs will be colored and thin spots filled in. You must comb through with a spooly when done to blend everything in. 

Esteemed Contributor

No I haven't found any super wonderful product and I feel your pain. I have thought about micro blading, I know you said it wasn't a good choice for you though. I am on the fence with that.

I've had beauticians shape my brows, I have colored them with "just for men", it was ok. Maybe you could get some advice from your beautician. Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

Lucky, don't need it.  Need lots of other things, but not eyebrows.  Good family heredity I guess LOL.  In any case I do have a question.  I wear eyeliner and cannot get anything to stay on.  Wear black, like the extreme look and it seems to not stay the next time I look in the mirror.  Any suggestions

Esteemed Contributor

I have been able to tame my unruly brows by doing the following:

First, I use Brow Power universal pencil by It Cosmetics.This colors & fills in.Then I go over it with the spooky.

Second,I go over the brow with Ready Set Brow by Benefit.It's a clear gel formula that's packaged like mascara.You comb it  through your brow & it tames the unruly hairs!!

Since I've been doing the above my brows look natural & full & frame my face nicely!!

Good luck!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

I find it easier & more natural looking to apply lightly w/ a brow brush (Smashbox). I really hate the drawn on look, and the brush gives you max control and soft definition. As long as you have a powder/wax that adheres. I've been using the eye shadow from Doll 10 because the powders are creamy and stay put nicely.

But then that spooly tool (on the back of the IT brow pencil) also adds a natural finish.

@bonnielu

Bobbi Brown gel eye liner in the pot always stayed nicely for me. Except I like pencils better for that softer definition. Sephora waterproof pencils work well for me.

Regular Contributor

I hear your pain. I'm the same age range as yourself and have struggled with my brows as well. I see a local aesthetician every five weeks for nail, lip and brow shaping. She uses a vegetable coloring and it lasts about 2 weeks. I buy a brow pencil from her to fill in those sparse spots. This pencil is amazing...it adjusts to the ph and color of your brow (brendachristian.com). Check it out. I've seen it on Amazon as well.

Trusted Contributor

I feel your pain, AngelPuppy1.  Your brows sound like mine.  I used to pride myself on my good brows - I never had to pluck, shape or do anything to them.  I think they started changing in my 40s.  Now at 60 I have half a brow on each side, and what I do have is some unruly graying blonde looking hairs.  So I'm forced to pencil them in and it's tough finding good products to do the trick.  I have been using a Mally eyebrow pencil for some time now, but I can't get it at the Q anymore.  It came with a clear gel mascara type of stuff that worked well to finish them off with.

Here's hoping you can find something that works for you!   

Respected Contributor

I just started using Benefit's Gimme Brow in the lightest shade. It has a tiny brush - kind of like a mascara brush only smaller. I have to be careful to kind of scrape excess off on the edge of the tube before using so I don't get too much. I've found it works well for my brows and looks natural. However, it is a pretty small tube and I think around $20 but so far it has lasted a while. 

Valued Contributor

I feel your pain as well.  My brows have always been platinum blonde and so light that it looks like I don't have any.  When I would put some kind of product on them I thought I looked so weird and I didn't do anything to them.

Flash forward to age 62...I get my brows waxed when I get my hair trimmed and I use either plain brow gel or a darker blonde color.  I still think I look weird but doing this makes my eyes stand out more and frames my face.