Honored Contributor

Re: Eye Brow Issues -- Part 2

@AngelPuppy1,

I did my own brows.

Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

I'm 64, low maintenance, and only go to the salon for haircuts. I've never had any kind of training. Here's what I do. I used three products here, but when I travel take just a brow pencil and brow mascara. The brow mascara covers the grays and helps to hold my brows in place.

step 1.jpg

step2.jpg

step 3.jpg

Additional note to step 3 above. I used the brow powder from the inner part of my brow to the beginning of the tail.

step 4.jpg

step 5.jpg

before after.jpg

Some tips:

Don't tweeze hair from within the main part of your brow. If you have wild hairs pointing out, up, or down, just snip off the part sticking out with a pair of brow or cuticle scissors.

Apply brow products with a light hand. Follow the natural shape of your brows, and don't try to fill them in totally solid. Much easier to add more a little at a time than to overdo it and have to remove. If your brows keep coming out too dark, try the next lighter shade.

Don't try to make perfect brows with sharp edges that look pasted on. You want them to look natural, with slightly rough edges. A person standing in front of you doesn't see what you see in a magnifying mirror. Not every little stray hair is visible to others.

When applying the products, stay within the borders of your brows. Don't try to change the shape. When you're done, if there's a low spot up top, use the pencil one small stroke at a time to fill it in. Same if there's a high spot on the bottom or a leftover open area in the middle.

You might find it easier to see what needs to be tweezed after you've done your brows, because those stray hairs will be well outside the main brow area.

One of your brows is probably weaker looking than the other, so start with the weaker one first. If you do the stronger one first, you'll end up overcompensating to build up the weaker one. I learned this from Robert Cook, the Lancome makeup artist on HSN.

Don't obsess trying to make both brows perfectly exactly the same. Your facial features aren't perfectly symmetrical.

Don't use the close-ups of the on-air presenters and models as your examples.

@Caffeina

Your brows look great --- so professional!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I thank everyone --- hope I didn't miss replying to anyone!  It took me awhile to respond as I was away and didn't get a chance to look on-line.  Thank you very much.  

Honored Contributor

angel---yes, the Utla stores have a Benefit bar----and yes all that chemo stuff is in the past and all is well--thanks for your good wishes Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1. Oh yes, brows can be worse & take a lot longer to grow back than a bad haircut....sometimes never fully grow back. Get recommendations from friends or co-workers, relatives...anyone you trust. If all else fails, check Yelp or other reviews for the brow destination you’re considering. If waxing is your choice and you use Retin A, stop 2 weeks before appt. Ask when you call. Some salons want you to stop longer. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1. Oh yes, brows can be worse & take a lot longer to grow back than a bad haircut....sometimes never fully grow back. Get recommendations from friends or co-workers, relatives...anyone you trust. If all else fails, check Yelp or other reviews for the brow destination you’re considering. If waxing is your choice and you use Retin A, stop 2 weeks before appt. Ask when you call. Some salons want you to stop longer. 

@Shanus

Thank you!!  Good advice.  No, not Retin A for me! 

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 No, the gel doesn't darken my lashes at all.  I really wish I could get used to some color on my brows but I feel uncomfortable with everything I have used.