Honored Contributor

@tototwo I am not very wrinkled and I chalk it up to having oily skin, I guess that's one positive!

Super Contributor

Murad Mattifier 

Respected Contributor

My T-zone is oily, like it was as a teen.  My hair and scalp oily and my ears too!   the rest of my skin, face and body is normal.  i'm way past menopause now.  i have an oil slick on forehead by bedtime.

wondering if its my thyroid but hypo usually means dry. i'm on the same dose now for close to 20 yrs.  noticed when i forgot to take it a week ago my scalp & hair smelled wierd.  like an old men's hat smell.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@Jordan2  I know the last thing you want on your skin is more oil, but the oil cleansing method works to normalize skin.

In this case, castor oil is what will do the trick to help your skin balance out. The recipe for that is:

30% castor

70% sunflower

There are indeed properties of the different kinds of oils. If you want to research further, Minimalist Beauty and Garden of Wisdom are great online resources.

My dermatologist told me to avoid products with oils. So it might vary by doctor and individual needs. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Jordan2  I know the last thing you want on your skin is more oil, but the oil cleansing method works to normalize skin.

In this case, castor oil is what will do the trick to help your skin balance out. The recipe for that is:

30% castor

70% sunflower

There are indeed properties of the different kinds of oils. If you want to research further, Minimalist Beauty and Garden of Wisdom are great online resources.

My dermatologist told me to avoid products with oils. So it might vary by doctor and individual needs. 

@CalminHeart  Yes, I understand. When I initially read this post, I only responded to the question. This a.m. I read through and it struck me how many different methods of "oil control" were suggested.

There's always in theory v. in practice, and what may work for some may not work for others. Also, many times on here we only get part of the story, and the mitigating factors (if there are any) are left out.  

Here is the composition of castor oil (if one may be  interested): Ricinoleic acid is a polyunsaturated fatty acid with anti-fungal and antibacterial properties.

Oleic 3.93%

Stearic 1.0%

Palmitic 1.0%

Linoleic 4.32%

Linolenic 0.3%

Ricinoleic 87.74%

(This is not to argue for or against anything, just to pose another viewpoint.) If one does not correct the problem, then, I suppose one has to refer to the mattifying things.

Years ago, I felt that I also had oily skin, and so used the oil cleansing method w/ castor oil. That is another reason why I made the suggestion.

Regular Contributor
My t zone is very oily. I love Mehron TouchUp Anti Shine. It’s only $9.95 and comes in 3 shades. I buy light, although there really is no color in it. It is a tube with a gel like balm in it. You only need a tiny bit on oily areas.
Honored Contributor

I like Paula's Choice Shine Stopper. 

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Jordan2 this is going to sound crazy but it works. My daughter has an oily scalp and face, once a week she uses Blue Dawn on her hair and face. 

Yes, Blue Dawn is used to clean birds and turtles that were caught in oil spills.  But it's also good on human oils.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2  See- the less or no wrinkles on oily skin is definitely a benefit to having oily skin! I'm 34 and I've had oily combo skin since I was 10 years old and I look great for my age.  I definitely know the frustration of oily skin- no matter what primer or setting powder I use, my makeup needs to be touched up about 2 hours in.  I think its something we'll have to learn to manage or accept. 

My skin routine is washing my face and then using niacinimide in the morning, SPF and a mattifying primer, a full face of makeup and mattifying setting powder.  At night I wash off my makeup and alternate days with Differin adapalene gel three days, one day glycolic acid and then Differin 2 days and one day glycolic acid. I top either treatment with an eye cream and Vanicream Lite lotion or Olay 7 in 1 Firming cream.  I use my Nuface Mini every night and every morning I wear a red light/blue light device electronic mask to help with anti again and keeping my skin clear.  My makeup still looks pretty when my oil peeks through, but I wish I could have a matte makeup look all day.  Just know that you're not alone in having oily or comination skin and I know the frustrations that oily skin can sometimes bring too.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

I have the same skin type .... no complaints from me!  I'd rather be oily than dry and wrinkled. 

I exfoliate every day (Kiss My Face Olive Oil soap and exfoliating bath gloves) .... a quick once over with witch hazel, and a tiny amount of Avon's Dramatic Firming Cream.

I use Cover Girl compact makeup, a bronzer and blush.  Lip gloss - that's it.

I've used witch hazel since I was a teenager - but didn't start daily exfoliation until about  20 years ago.  It's easier to prevent problems than to fix them afterwards.

I'm perfectly satisfied with the condition of my skin.

-------------------------------------

@Jordan2 wrote:

I have had extremely oily skin since I was a teen, I haven't been a teen for many many years and my skin is still just as oily. I thought as you matured your skin gets drier but that hasn't been the case for me. I have tried every skincare product, used various foundations, used pressed powders and Mally's Face Defender and nothing helps. I'll put on my makeup at home, by the time I get to work I have an oil slick. Packing on press powder I think makes the problem worse.  Anyone have any tips to share?