Esteemed Contributor

Expired sunscreens for sale at Winners

OK, I know that expired sunscreens are probably OK but what isn't OK in my mind is seeing expired sunscreens in stores for sale. But I've seen Ombrelle sunscreen SPF 30 for the face in two different Winners stores in Canada and the expiration date was last fall 2015. Since Winners is owned by TJX, the parent company of T.J. Maxx and Marshall's, it would be wise to look at the expiration date of sunscreen products that you see in those stores in the U.S.

I know that some of the makeup and skin care products at Winners has been on the shelves or warehouses somewhere else for more than a year as I've googled products that I've bought there to see where else it was sold. I bought a nice Laura Mercier lipstick trio set this past fall that was sold at the U.S. Sephora stores in the spring of 2014. I've just bought some big bottles of Marcelle facial cleansers that come out in the summer so the ones I have were sold in Canadian stores last summer. There's nothing wrong with them at all but I resent it when I see products like sunscreen that are on the shelves that are way past their expiration date.

Honored Contributor

Re: Expired sunscreens for sale at Winners

I would finish up my own sunscreen after it reached an expiration date, but I wouldn't want to buy a new container that was outdated.

Knowing that most stores have so many products and so few workers, I'd just point out the expired products -  that's the quickest way to get them removed.

Esteemed Contributor

Probably got the wrong advice since I called the companies directly when I noticed expired dates on all my sunscreens... all unopened.. and waiting to be used but never touched.  They all told me to discard.  And so I did.  Hope I did not make a mistake.  I then went out bought something new to travel with when I visit my daughter in Florida.  

Lots of money down the drain... what was I thinking.   I never go out in the sun but bought them anyway...  

Esteemed Contributor

Going to add that these companies no longer put expiration dates on these products... the advice was to buy and use in one season.  I guess they are out for the big bucks or not. Never can know whom to trust.

Respected Contributor

I guess this means I'm going to have to throw out my big bottle of No-Ad SPF 30 sunscreen (no expiry date on the bottle) that I bought in Canada almost ten years ago, even though it's still doing the trick. How do we know when a product actually loses its effectiveness? This sunscreen still looks, smells and feels the same on my skin and (I'm very fair) has been keeping me sunburn-free all this time when I'm out on a motorcycle ride with my husband all day in the Texas summer sun and with only one initial application. I guess different formulations age differently but for me, as long as it's working and doesn't look or smell like it's gone bad, why throw it out? 

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't buy expired skincare like I wouldn't buy expired milk! I use my sunscreen  year round on my face so it's always fresh and in the sunny months, for the rest of my body,  it is always a fresh new SMALL bottle or spray of sunscreen. I am not a sun worshipper anymore so that size will last until I don't wear summer type clothes. Money is money no matter how little you spend and you can tell if sunscreen is bad---it smells!!!!

Respected Contributor

Would Never Purchase! Why would you want to risk it?

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always look for expiration dates.  If it's expired, I don't buy it.  If something doesn't have an expiration date and I haven't used it in a while, I toss it.

Esteemed Contributor

I would never buy it if it is expired .. why are they selling it? .. they put an expiry date on it for as reason!!!! 

Honored Contributor

I use Cerave sunscreen, and fortunately, it does include an expiration date.

Even if a product doesn't have a date, it almost always has a batch code. You can call the company or you can plug it into one of a few online sites that will give the manufacturing date if that brand is in their database. One such site is checkcosmetics.net.

As far as shopping, too often I do see items on the shelf that are past their date. I often point it out to the manager.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland