Honored Contributor

Re: Expired sunscreens for sale at Winners

A few months past the expired date for a sunscreen may be okay but certainly not several months or years!! I would never rely on an expired sunscreen, ever. I am not taking that risk.

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

I guess this means I'm going to have to throw out my big bottle of No-Ad SPF 30 sunscreen (no expiry date on the bottle) that I bought in Canada almost ten years ago, even though it's still doing the trick. How do we know when a product actually loses its effectiveness? This sunscreen still looks, smells and feels the same on my skin and (I'm very fair) has been keeping me sunburn-free all this time when I'm out on a motorcycle ride with my husband all day in the Texas summer sun and with only one initial application. I guess different formulations age differently but for me, as long as it's working and doesn't look or smell like it's gone bad, why throw it out? 

I know of no sunscreen that would still be effective for ten years.  Most skincare without SPF is usually good for two to three years unopened and a year or so opened.  I've had bath and body products last far longer but I have a hard time thinking SPF products would.

Honored Contributor

Sunscreen is one product known to lose its effectiveness fast.  Don't buy an expired product.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment