Frequent Contributor

Expiraton Dates on It Cosmetics

I am besides myself!  I went to use one of my foundations by It Cosmetics and noticed an expiration date which I had never noticed before and "all" my It cosmetics are "outdated"!  When I called the company they told me not to use the foundation and discard them.  That is over $100.00 worth of make up!  I learned my lesson to use the foundations as soon as I get them.  The only reason I hadn't used them was because of the pandemic and "mask wearing" and there was no need to wear foundation.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I am so upset!

Honored Contributor

Re: Expiraton Dates on It Cosmetics

Is it because of the sunscreen?

Esteemed Contributor

If it doesn't have an off putting odor, I would use them. JMO

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

It is the sunscreen that expires, not the actual makeup itself. 

Respected Contributor

@SweetSpice , ask @shanus, maybe she'll know. She's the resident beauty expert here.

Honored Contributor

@SweetSpice 

They want you to spend more money with them.  I don't pay attention to the expiration dates.  If it looks good (not clumpy separating etc), if it smells good and if it applies good, it's good in my book.  If you are really concerned, do a patch test.  What is the expiry date?

Respected Contributor

I have no idea when that giant tube of CC cream in my makeup bag expired, but it’s fine. It’s not separated, the color is fine, it doesn’t smell off.

I might not be so cavalier with a product I’m dipping my fingers or an applicator that touches my face into or is openly exposed to the environment, but a properly stored foundation with a pump is fine for a long time.
Esteemed Contributor

Not "expiration dates".

We have best by dates, sell by dates, use by dates.

We have dates that are suggested by manufacturer, and we have cosmetic PAO dates assigned by the broad brush of the FDA.

I have cosmetic products that were first opened years ago, that show no sign of degradation or needing to be tossed out.

The PAO date will have this b786385d-682d-4256-9965-0ab73e1d5438_TN1.jpg symbol, the number of months will vary.  

• Even then, be guided by your common sense!

To prolong useful life, use & store your cosmetics avoiding contamination, or heat, light, etc that accelerates breakdown.

Difference Between Expiration Date and POA

Expiration Date- A product’s expiration date (or “shelf life”) is generally accepted as the amount of time it takes a product to cease performing as outlined or advertised. Essentially, the period of time it is safe to use and will perform its function within. Depending on the type and nature of the product, an expiration date can very.

Period After Opening- Period after opening (PAO) refers to the amount of time a product will remain stable and safe for human use after it has first been opened. As such, it is very much involved with the scale of degradation a product faces in the same way as the shelf life is, however in this instance it is far more directly influenced by its first use or first interaction with the consumer (and the inevitable risk of microbial contamination therein).

Honored Contributor

All I threw out was 1/2 bottle of Bobbi Brown foundation.  It takes quite a while to straighten out clogged pours!  NO way!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't throw it out.  You can tell if makeup has gone bad.  Maybe the sunscreen expired.  What a waste to throw away your makeup.  I have no idea when my IT CC cream expires.  It's as good as when I first used it.