Honored Contributor

I sincerely wish expiration dates were mandatory on alll skincare products and makeup then we would not have to guess.  Sometimes you use a product and then neglect it for a several months, is it still good?  What do you think about expiration dates being mandatory?    Cat Very HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Yes, I think it would be nice. I think we can all google a list for expiration dates of various types of cosmetics. Pretty much the same for many of the products across the board. I like to write an open-date on everything so I know when to toss it.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Regulating something like that would be extremely difficult and expensive, to say nothing of the fact that for at least the next four years we will be seeing FEWER, not more, regulations across the board.

In the larger scheme of things, this is probably not up there with the more important health and safety regulations that unfortunately will also get short shrift.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

The only thing I've ever heard that could be a real danger is mascara.  Other products probably don't ever expire. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I just threw out an 18oz tub of JM argan oil whipped body butter, vanilla orange.

It smelled like s**t.  I wish it had an expiration date, I would have used it faster.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Here is what I do -- I mark the date I opened something or when it is put into use. At least I know how long a product has been around from when I go to use it again.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor
Expiration dates good idea. I have too many things on shelf and trying to check for freshness. Avoiding auto delivery.
Trusted Contributor
I have never wrote the date on items before but that does seem like a good tip. I will probably start doing this.

I think serums will go bad faster than lotions/creams.

I wish all facial creams came with pumps. I use pop sickle sticks now so I don't put my fingers in the jars.
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The only thing I've ever heard that could be a real danger is mascara.  Other products probably don't ever expire. 

I've used serums and creams way after the 2 year expiration date and still find them to be effective. I think they lose a little effectiveness as time goes on but not enough to toss. IMHO

Esteemed Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
I have never wrote the date on items before but that does seem like a good tip. I will probably start doing this.

I think serums will go bad faster than lotions/creams.

I wish all facial creams came with pumps. I use pop sickle sticks now so I don't put my fingers in the jars.

I suppose that's one indication, but it's not when you receive the product, it's when the product is made.

I thought someone on here already broke the code on those numbers on the labels. I think you can research what they mean.

But I disagree about things not expiring. Several times I have received things (nothing ever from Q) that you know didn't just come from the lab!